Armasight Core Upgrade Program

Middy53

LSB Member
I spoke to Armasight/Flir yesterday and they mentioned that it is possible to upgrade the core in my 336 to a 640. I was wondering if anyone here has done this before and what the results were. Has anyone had them change the lens size or magnification as well?

Bocephus

LSB Member
I'm curious on what they quoted you to do that?

Reason I ask is that my last thermal was a Zeus 336. And when I called and ask them how much it would be to upgrade my unit to a 640, the cost was more then what I could have sold my unit for and just bought a new 640 unit from a dealer.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Same happened here as well regarding the cost to upgrade. I didn't find out I was shipped a older cored 336 60 hz 75mm for $5800.00 (core was 2 yrs out of production) until I looked into the firmware upgrade and was told it could not be done because of cores firmware was too old. I was told I needed to purchase a new core for the 2.7 upgrade. A unit less then 14 mths old was shipped to me with a 3 yr old core so I needed to purchase a new tau2 core? WTF, Andrew said he would get back to me to explain why the new unit was shipped with the older core (website says the units ship with the latest cores), that never happened so I no longer buy any Armasight products. This pushed me to the IR Hunter units which have a much better image to me, like looking at a b/w HD day camera. Image is awesome.

Middy53

LSB Member
Same happened here as well regarding the cost to upgrade. I didn't find out I was shipped a older cored 336 60 hz 75mm for $5800.00 (core was 2 yrs out of production) until I looked into the firmware upgrade and was told it could not be done because of cores firmware was too old. I was told I needed to purchase a new core for the 2.7 upgrade. A unit less then 14 mths old was shipped to me with a 3 yr old core so I needed to purchase a new tau2 core? WTF, Andrew said he would get back to me to explain why the new unit was shipped with the older core (website says the units ship with the latest cores), that never happened so I no longer buy any Armasight products. This pushed me to the IR Hunter units which have a much better image to me, like looking at a b/w HD day camera. Image is awesome.
I received exactly what i thought i was purchasing in a 336. They said they would upfrade me to a 640 core though.

Hard_ware

I received exactly what i thought i was purchasing in a 336. They said they would upfrade me to a 640 core though.

Nothing better then getting what the manufacturer said they are selling you. "The latest Tau 2 17-micron uncooled FLIR core technology" is/was advertised on the website.

The tau 2.7 core has better performance then the 2.1 cores.
You should have received a tau 2 2.7 core if ordered after jan 2015 as they were shipping in june 2014 by flir.

The 2.4 cores could be upgraded to the 2.7 firmware in house (field upgradeable), so no excuse by armasight to not give the customer what is advertised.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nothing better then getting what the manufacturer said they are selling you. "The latest Tau 2 17-micron uncooled FLIR core technology" is/was advertised on the website.

The tau 2.7 core has better performance then the 2.1 cores.
You should have received a tau 2 2.7 core if ordered after jan 2015 as they were shipping in june 2014 by flir.

The 2.4 cores could be upgraded to the 2.7 firmware in house (field upgradeable), so no excuse by armasight to not give the customer what is advertised.

Sounds like a mess for sure, but again I am amazed by customers who call and just wait for the manufactures to return their call. If I drop that amount of cash on anything and its not right Ill be calling every few hours until it get fixed. As for the IRD "much better" comment, now that Im with Night Vision Guys and have all the various brands in the field at the same time I can for sure say the IRD stuff has a slightly better image than all the others in perfect conditions. But the nuc system and menu system are a pia. Not sure I would trade that slightly better image for the hassles in the field. Just like everything else that better image comes with some trade offs maybe now that Trijicon has them some of these things will get worked out.

Hard_ware

Sounds like a mess for sure, but again I am amazed by customers who call and just wait for the manufactures to return their call. If I drop that amount of cash on anything and its not right Ill be calling every few hours until it get fixed. As for the IRD "much better" comment, now that Im with Night Vision Guys and have all the various brands in the field at the same time I can for sure say the IRD stuff has a slightly better image than all the others in perfect conditions. But the nuc system and menu system are a pia. Not sure I would trade that slightly better image for the hassles in the field. Just like everything else that better image comes with some trade offs maybe now that Trijicon has them some of these things will get worked out.

Yea, wasn't a matter that it needed to get fixed, the scope works like the day I received it.
I didn't even think about what firmware it shipped with, after all MFG said it shipped with the latest flir cores. Just when the 2.7 firmware came out 12 mths later and I wanted the newer firmware cuz the better performance. That's when I found out that I didn't get the older 2.4 core but the even older 2.1 core that could not be upgraded. So not really a defect or not working correctly I just felt ripped off by Armasight. I let them know to see if they would make it right, but they didn't. I could have played the look it broke and send me a new one under warranty but I am straight up and won't do that. Who know's maybe if they made it right I would have never tried the IR hunter product and stuck with the armasight thermals. But after the past I won't spend a penny with anything with the armasight name on it. Just How I roll.:cool:

Trade off's usually exist, the IR Hunter image is tops from units I have handled, but the video out sucks.
Only good video is TTL recording. Not sure if anyone makes a beam splitter setup to do this. May be my next project :D

Last edited:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yea, wasn't a matter that it needed to get fixed, the scope works like the day I received it.
I didn't even think about what firmware it shipped with, after all MFG said it shipped with the latest flir cores. Just when the 2.7 firmware came out 12 mths later and I wanted the newer firmware cuz the better performance. That's when I found out that I didn't get the older 2.4 core but the even older 2.1 core that could not be upgraded. So not really a defect or not working correctly I just felt ripped off by Armasight. I let them know to see if they would make it right, but they didn't. I could have played the look it broke and send me a new one under warranty but I am straight up and won't do that. Who know's maybe if they made it right I would have never tried the IR hunter product and stuck with the armasight thermals. But after the past I won't spend a penny with anything with the armasight name on it. Just How I roll.:cool:

Trade off's usually exist, the IR Hunter image is tops from units I have handled, but the video out sucks.
Only good video is TTL recording. Not sure if anyone makes a beam splitter setup to do this. May be my next project :D
Oso Grande did a project with a beam splitter and videoed with a go pro. Was still able to look thu the lens. I don't know what happened with his project since he has gotten busy with life and hasn't been on here for a while. Check out his past post. It looked promising.

Hard_ware

Thanks,
I found the setup, that is what I had in mind. The airsoft beam splitter is cheap like $30, so that will make a inexpensive setup.
The holes for the screws look like they can be drilled to use longer screws to attach to the gopro case, so the putty might not be needed.

Drift

LSB Member
I have found that when a reasonable man gets what paid for he will probably tell only 2-3 people how pleased he is. But when he feels ripped off he will tell 20-30 people how displeased he is with that product. That's supposed to be the whole rationalisation behind forming a customer service department. So...Thanks for telling us about Armasight.

Middy53

LSB Member
I have found that when a reasonable man gets what paid for he will probably tell only 2-3 people how pleased he is. But when he feels ripped off he will tell 20-30 people how displeased he is with that product. That's supposed to be the whole rationalisation behind forming a customer service department. So...Thanks for telling us about Armasight.
After speaking with Armasight more I am pretty excited that they will upgrade my 336 core to a 640, they will also change out my lense.