90 grain Gold Dots, Its Whats for Dinner

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
As promised I got out for some more testing. I didn't put as much effort into getting a huge number of hogs. I was focusing on taking different shots (neck, shoulder, stationary, and running) on different size hogs. I think I succeed in this and my opinion of the 90 GD remains about the same as the first time.

It was bitter cold night again, but only a 8-10 MPH south wind instead of a 20 MPH north wind and freezing rain like when TLM was here. I was hunting solo, which I rarely get an opportunity to do anymore. My wife is out of town so I have to play as hard as I can with no wife and no work for a few days.

The first hog I spotted I spotted a little late. It is hard to drive and spot with a thermal imager at the same time. I helmet mounted my pvs 14 over my left eye so I could see to drive and used the thermal on my right eye to spot out my side window as I could. I normally drive my routes so the passenger can spot for me so i was all backwards tonight. They first hog I spotted was chowing down on some pecans and I am thankful for the loud crunch they make . I didn't see him until I was 75 yards away in the truck! He was blocked by the A pillar during a turn I had to make. I slowly crept out of the truck and he was none the wiser. Stalked to 50 yards, waited for him to turn broadside, and started the slow trigger squeeze as I delicately steadied the EOtech dot on his neck. BOOOOOMMM! The shot echoed through the cold crisp air as I recovered from the slight recoil of the 6.8. The lone boar was left doing the dirt dance. The shot entered just behind his ear and exited a little lower and more towards his throat.

Lone Boar (190 pounds by tape)

Entrance

Exit

I loaded him up and checked the rest of the property but didn't see anything besides deer and raccoons. Lots of hog sign, but no hogs so I moved on to the next spot. The next spot is a large bermuda grass field that the land owner dumps waste pecans on. the pile is about 100 feet in diameter and 10 feet tall! This is a giant dinner bell for the hogs. When I pull up I can see two large blobs near the pile so I start the 200 yard walk. As I get closer the two large blobs start moving and turning into 8 smaller blobs. I get to around 100 yards and count 16 pigs broken into 3 different groups. I pause for a moment to see if the group will combine and give me a better opportunity to pick the best target, but they wouldn't do it. I start to maneuver around a smaller pecan pile to get a better angle and crap! There are two smaller hogs on the other side of it. Thankfully I spotted them before they did me. They heard me crunch through the knee tall grass and poked their heads up from the pecans for a second, but without a moon they couldn't see what was making the noise and continued on eating. Right as I composed myself the dread "low power" phrase started flashing in my thermal screen. No big deal because I could easily spot all the hogs in the PVS 14 at the range I was at now so I just switched back to it. 30 seconds later the lower battery indicated started flashing on my helmet mounted pvs 14. So I thought no big deal, I'll just guide myself in with the pvs 14 on my rifle. I know I changed the battery in it during my last hunt. Crisis averted! I repositioned myself for a shot at a larger hog in a group around 70 yards. I fire and she drops, but gets up again. I didn't bother with a follow up because I wanted to see how far she would run. I picked my next target and it was the largest hog in the group that started at 40 yards from me. I hit her on the run and she slid to a halt in the grass. I swung on the next hog, a smaller sow, and fired. Miss! I adjust my lead and nail her.

At this point I think all the hogs are gone, but I could hear piglets running around. This made me giggle a little because I remember TLM busting a bunch of them last weekend. I tried to pop a couple with my IR laser and a helmet mounted pvs because it was hard to see them in the tall weeds through the scope with such little light and the IR light bounced off the light colored grass. I missed a couple times and thought why waste the ammo. Then the piglets ran another circle around the sow I dropped (their mom) and they paused. I shouldered my rifle and was able to spot them without the IR light and POP, SQUEAL! Dead piglet.

Last edited:

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Second sow (160 pounds by tape)
Hit on the run and dropped. Shot was really low in the chest cavity. Just barely grazed the heart, but turned it all to goo!

Entrance (stick is stuck in it)

Exit

Skinned wound channel
entrance side

Exit side

Exit side leg got hit too

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Third Sow (guessing 40 pounds)
Hit on the run
Entrance

Exit

Piglet (DEVASTATION)

Exit

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yes the bullet does the job and kills hogs with devastating damage. However, it doesn't drop them on the spot with a chest shot like the 120 sst. For the hunter who is not trying eradicate hogs and shooting lots of moving targets at odd angles the 90 GD is an extremely effective bullet. However, if you need/want them dropped in their tracks no matter how they are facing use the 120 sst. My opinion comes from myself and TLM shooting 28 hogs using 90 GD handloads with 30.5 grains of AA200 from 16" barrels.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice report Alex. Thank you for taking the time to not only do it, but in presenting your results too.

I'm still wondering whether this particular bullet will do better when going a bit slower (whether that's loaded lighter/up close, or a longer range)?

Where I'm going with this, isn't any attempt to de-throne the 120SST's effectiveness in the carbine/rifle... where I'm going with this is... "the right tool for the job" sort of thing. Will this round give better results in the SBR/Pistol platform?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Alex, great report and pics in the TX cold! Good shooting too, lost of damage with that little bullet. I am using the GD in my 8.5" pistol so that slows the bullet 400 or so FPS from the factory loading, I think this will help and make a difference in performance, we will see...I will be ready to double tap, just in case.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So how far did the sow run??? What is #039???? It's nice to hunt by yourself every once in a while huh?!? Good report.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So how far did the sow run??? What is #039???? It's nice to hunt by yourself every once in a while huh?!? Good report.
What I'm seeing is ' in place of the ' when he's typing a contraction.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yes #039 is the forum fouling up punctuation marks. It ruined all my formatting too. I had paragraphs and now it all runs together.

The sow ran about 60 yards.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes #039 is the forum fouling up punctuation marks. It ruined all my formatting too. I had paragraphs and now it all runs together.

The sow ran about 60 yards.
Sounds like your computer to me! ;)

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Probably. Windows 8 just pushed an update on my laptop.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Does the same with my computer with Windows 7.

Great report Afalex1. Thanks for all the hard work and great report. You are a lot tougher than me for getting out in those conditions.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Done for a couple of days. Heading out Saturday night with a couple of friends who have been waiting patiently to hunt.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Very nice afalex, thanks for the review! I'm wondering if the 90gd is better suited for deer than hogs?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It does some pretty massive damage on the hogs, as you can see from the pictures, but they just don't anchor them like the 120. I think it is just a matter of the 120 carrying a little extra weight. 30 grains of lead can make a big difference at 2600 fps. When TLM was shooting with a suppressor we did not hear the notable thump with the 90 GD. However, when he shoots the 120 sst we can both call it a hit or miss by the thump the 120 makes. Maybe its is a combination of the different bullet construction and the weight.

I think the 90 GD would be a good deer bullet and it will have a little flatter trajectory. I don't think it would make a good varmint bullet if you plan to save the fur.