45 ACP First

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I finally did it. I got a chance to go out alone and found the right hog to shoot. I crept through the orchard with a belly full of smoked prime rib, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, pecan pie, and pumpkin pie. I was struggling to move quietly and I'm not sure if it was because of all the dry leaves on the ground or the extra 15 pounds in Thanks Giving food I was carrying in my stomach. I spotted a sounder of 12 smaller hogs. There were all the same general size and squealing like mad as they fought over pecans.

I snuck to around 40 yards from the group and slowly surveyed them to pick out my one and only target. Using my new Primos trigger stick bipod made this easy (Thanks Lawman). I picked one of the mid sized ones from the group, waited for a nice broadside profile, put the eotech dot behind her ear and squeezed the trigger. She dropped instantly and the sounder ran off into the night.

The 200 grain Hornady XTP going an average of 1025 fps whacked her right behind the ear and broke her spine. She didn't even take a step. The bullet passed through too!. This is the first hog I have shot with my Macon Armory 10.5" 45 ACR AR15. Next I want to find a bigger lone boar and try for the same shot. With a suppressor I think this will make a great close range subsonic neck/head shooter.

Entrance. If you look close you can see where the bullet clipped the ear.

I cut the entrance wound open. There is very little tissue trauma. This is a good example why a subsonic rounds are not good killers. Because of the lack of hydrostatic shock the wound channel is narrow. I believe that if the bullet did not shatter the vertebra this hog may have ran off.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shootin' Alex! Clean kill w/o massive meat destruction is a plus in my book.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That was a good test for you. I use a 44carbine with 240gr XTP from Hornady..would love to suppress that carbine, it is the only pistol rd I hunt with.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice, way to go. Thanks for posting pictures, hope to see some more. BANG BANG!!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks guys. Lawman is supposed to be here next weekend otherwise I would have chased a few more with the 45 last night. I figured I should leave them alone for a week so he and I can blast them later. I do more testing after this weekend.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I wish I was hunting beaver last night. Beaver is always better then a hog.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm married too. That's why I don't hunt beaver anymore. Too much trouble and if I get one it costs too much to keep.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What's the longest range you think the 45 can reach out to? I'm still on the fence about a 45 ar but really want one

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I treat it like a compound bow. Shot placement must be nearly perfect. So if depends on the skill of the shooter and accuracy of the rifle. I'm comfortable at 50-60 yards. Beyond that I don't think I would take a shot.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's what I figured