4 more boar hit the floor

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cleveland tx 7/23/16 w/ my brother in new property.. 12.5inch ar 6.8/ir Hunter mkii 35. And 16 inch 7.62x39 ar with eotech, pvs-14/3x magnifier and/or CQBL-1 IR laser/helmet. Both suppressed. filled feeders on it last weekend. Unfortunately no video (recordings are blank with audio only). 2 main hunting sites on this property-- 1: front pasture. 2: back tree line deer stand (this stand has a feeder 100 yds down the tree line and another one 75 yds into the woods where a slough runs through). We approach the Back deer stand 30 minutes before dark to throw some soured corn and get set up. First feeder is about 75 yds into the woods. Scanned and saw 2 pigs coming in. Gave my brother the rifle and he dropped one of them with a solid neck shot. The 2nd feeder is 100 yds down the tree line off a dirt road. After dragging that pig out of the woods, spraying the stand for wasps and being loud we drove to the 2nd stand to find a boar jump up from the tall grass about 15 yards in front of the truck and he took off in the woods. I hadn't seen him in the thermal when I scanned before we drove 100 yds to the feeder but he was bedded down in tall grass. Oh well...
Get back to the front pasture and baited with soured corn and we got the meat off that first pig. shortly after getting set up under an oak tree a boar comes out to the pasture. I tell my brother to walk out there and get set up and shoot him if he spooks while I transfer the pvs-14/3x behind the eotech we stalk up on him and count down and both shoot him DRT. 2 pigs down.
Then we decide to walk back to the back deer stand/feeders. On the way I spot a lone boar wrooting up the side of the dirt road with helmet mounted pvs-14. I get the IR laser on him while my brother gets set up with the thermal and we drop him on 3. He was the bigger one of the 4 we shot. 3 pigs down.
Then while standing outside the back deer stand, my brother in law sees a boar come to the feeder on the tree line. I was about 30 yards away lookin around for pigs in the area and my brother in law tried to get my attention but the boar spooked and bolted outta there. Oh well.
Then a couple hours later (we had swapped gear to where he had the pvs-14 and I had the thermal scope) (bout 3:00 am) we see something moving around the far end of the front pasture and stalk up on a young boar and the boar was in tall grass kind of under tree shadows, so rather than risk an IR light spooking the boar, my brother told me to just take him with the thermal scope Bc he couldn't see him well enough with the pvs-14 (he's inexperienced and had glasses and fog/humidity was messing things up for the NV at this point. I found the audio of this stalk and shot and approach kinda funny... Wish I had video :/ anywho, Got the back straps from that guy.
Then called it a night and rounded up the bodies and took them to the bone yard and went home. 4 hogs down total... And a coon.

Last edited:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sounds like a great night. Just enough activity to keep it interesting. Good job.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hogs down !! Congrats!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What loads are y'all shooting?
6.8 (12.5 inch barrel)- 120 grain HORNADY SST factory load

7.62x39 16 inch barrel- 123 grain HORNADY SST factory load

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like a fun time! Good shootin'.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fun times!

Where do I get those hairy bullets? Yours seem to work better than mine....

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
See? If you'd've kept it in your mouth, it'd be shiny clean by the time you got home.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
See? If you'd've kept it in your mouth, it'd be shiny clean by the time you got home.
Sounds a lot like licking a shag carpet.....

f79665e0-a9bf-0132-9a09-0e01949ad350.gif

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Or, carpet, rather than hardwoods. ;)