4,000 pounds of hogs in 4 days

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This weekend I had the opportunity to call hogs to some of the top archers in the world. I used the Bullet HP from convergent hunting and my custom sounds. My goal was to call hogs for each team, I was able to accomplish my goal plus one for the ranch hands.left to right are The youngest archer to complete the grand slam 29 species, Tom Maranda, the shwacker broadhead guys, Jack Frost the first man to complete the grand slam with a bow, Brady Ellison 3 time olympic medalist , Julie and Daniel Martin from till death do us part tv. They killed nearly 4,000 pounds of hogs in just 4 days with bows! It was an awesome hunt with a great bunch of archers.

17554532_1461767607189781_5919547337334023841_n.jpg

17499102_1461775040522371_7918061513580202922_n.jpg

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Bow hunting is actually my favorite way to hunt hogs!! Congrats to everyone and happy hunting!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's some serious killin' right there. Nice work Glenn... and the hunting party!!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Very impressive Glenn. Congrats to all who participated.

LSB Active Member
Lordy that is insane!

Question to the bow crowd. Do you guys used fixed blade broadheads? Mechanical? What's the hardest hitting combo you guys can rec for 65-70 lb draw weight? I'm assuming it's an accuracy issue on our lease, but every hog that gets shot with a compound/crossbow equals a lost hog and $40 worth of equipment!

Last edited:
D

djones

I'm sure DJ has killed more in less time with his bare hands!
yes team OinK's last haul weighed about 8,500 lbs and was taken over a two day period. i only used bare hands on the ones running right at me and the ones that were about to bowl over OinK. but that's a nice 2nd place haul.

i bet the youngster is proud as a peacock! nothing quite like being bow distance from game. all your senses participate. the caller is cool too. like the idea of phone controlled. you had your work cut out for you bringing that many in with a caller. even with everyone being a good shot, i bet there were still some killed that didn't make it to the trailer.

legit pic you got there
cup_zpsp6gkjpkl.gif

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well done! Awesome

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
not all these hogs were called, just to be clear. I did call hogs for each team. Yes, there were a few not recovered. I do bow hunt, by far prefer the bangstick! Boom

nathan koepp

Cibolo,TX
Lordy that is insane!

Question to the bow crowd. Do you guys used fixed blade broadheads? Mechanical? What's the hardest hitting combo you guys can rec for 65-70 lb draw weight? I'm assuming it's an accuracy issue on our lease, but every hog that gets shot with a compound/crossbow equals a lost hog and $40 worth of equipment![/QUOTE
I only use cut on contact broad heads, try Magnus or just plain old muzzy hundred grainers. The key is shot placement, most times if a bow hunter that hunts pigs exclusively misses he will shoot low under the pig.
This is because of the anatomy of pigs, that is there vitals are pushed forward and closer to the sternum so my tip, cut on contact broadheads and aim for the elbow or centerpunch the shoulder just a little lower than a deer.
Hope this helps!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lordy that is insane!

Question to the bow crowd. Do you guys used fixed blade broadheads? Mechanical? What's the hardest hitting combo you guys can rec for 65-70 lb draw weight? I'm assuming it's an accuracy issue on our lease, but every hog that gets shot with a compound/crossbow equals a lost hog and $40 worth of equipment!
Archery kills are not about "hard hitting"... "Kenetic Energy". The "KE" needed for training wheel bow users is to DEPLOY their latest and greatest whiz-bang mechanical wonder broadheads.

A GOOD cut-on-contact (simple) broadhead which is spooky sharp is all that is needed. A heavier arrow will carry it's momentum further inside the animal after being hit. Archery kills are about cutting and making tissue bleed (profusely).

There's big money in selling all those bells/whistles for compound bows, and the bow needs to be TUNED to the shooter. If you drop the bow and get it out of tune, your shot placement may become seriously compromised. If you nick a string with a broadhead... good luck changing out your string in the field. Damned things weigh as much as a boat anchor, and can wake the dead when shot. And, (of course) one NEEDS to buy the latest and greatest NEW offering... and all the bells and whistles associated with it. But... like any monkey, you just line up your sight and pull a trigger to make a hit.

LSB Active Member
I only use cut on contact broad heads, try Magnus or just plain old muzzy hundred grainers. The key is shot placement, most times if a bow hunter that hunts pigs exclusively misses he will shoot low under the pig.
This is because of the anatomy of pigs, that is there vitals are pushed forward and closer to the sternum so my tip, cut on contact broadheads and aim for the elbow or centerpunch the shoulder just a little lower than a deer.
Hope this helps!

I've not drawn at a pig yet, but might give it a rip this summer just to say I did. Problem is the pigs don't come out from the swamp in daylight hardly ever....they peek out to the feeder and they are 30 feet from freedom so they gotta go down fast.....I'd say 90 percent of our hogs are taken on a mile and a half stretch along the swamp all right up next to thick brush. The bow setups for deer are out in plots/woods a good mile from the swamp so tracking isn't a big deal. The volume of Copperheads, Timber Rattlers and Moccasins in our swamps is just nuts it's a frikken zoo I wouldn't go in with hip gaiters! Plus by summer the swamp is up to knee level at minimum and that is closer than I want to bring those critters w/o shoulders to biting my McNuggets or something. No bueno. Thanks for the tips.

Last edited:
D

djones

hogs have always made up my favorite bowhunts. i did some really stupid things back in my early 50s tracking hogs on my hands and knees through tunnels. luckily, i've matured greatly since then and am not nearly the idiot i used to be.