3 Boars and a big Sow...

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I made another run last evening to watch a wheat field with my roll barrels and post holes dug and filled with soured corn...
Well now, the post holes look more like snow cones dug in the ground by the hogs getting after the soured corn. The hogs have been beating the crap out of the two barrels, trying to get the corn out...so far I still have a fair amount of corn ~20lbs, in the 30gal barrels- it is working well.
-
The weather was lousy with 20mph wind, gusts to 30 out of the SE - favorable direction for hunting this field-but rocking the blind a fair amount. By 1am, the end of the hunt, I had light rain/drizzle coming down. The hogs didn't mind the wind at all...
-
The first visitor was a single boar coming to the barrel at far end of the wheat. I screwed up the first couple of shots, but got the lead right and drilled him on the run. DRT-finally. Video coming later..

About an hour later, had a group of five come in to the same barrel. I picked the biggest hog, squeezed the trigger and heard the solid hit on the pig-DRT...and my scope shut off with four more hogs there--Crap!
Changed out 4 CR123's in the ZeusPro 100, no light, and back in business again.
Scanned the field with the PVS-14 and HD38A thermal, and the remaining four hogs had moved to the roll barrel closest to my stand,, ~80 yards. Perfect.
Again, picked the biggest hog, aim for the neck and squeezed the trigger for another DRT. As expected, the remaining three 70-80 lb pigs hauled, and I am working for a follow-up shot. Well, a little too much lead and I hit one through the snoot I think, because he performed an airborne dance shaking his head-I never killed that little pig, and bet he won't be rooting up the ground anytime soon!

-
The last visitor of the evening again came to the farthest roll barrel, circling up behind the dead sow. He stopped right behind the sow, broadside perfect. I squeezed the trigger, DRT right beside the sow.

Total 4 dead hogs for the night.
The last two measured 45 and 46 inches around the chest... A really good hunt for me - for the Hogs - not so much!
-
Hope this earns the coveted Yellow Banner, and addition to Sus Venator group!

Dennis

Last edited:

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice shooting! Around here, the hogs have scattered. The guy that owns the land I hunt trapped over 100 about 6 weeks ago, and hog sightings have been few and far between since. Seeing all these hog posting makes me want to get back out into the woods!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hunt there, congrats on 'em.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nothing like a target rich environment.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those are a couple Giant hogs!!! Good Job!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to,the club enjoy that yellow ribbon!

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is a fun hunt, great job! Can't wait for the video.