2nd Kill with 6.8

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So far have shot twice at hogs and have 2 dead. I really like this 6.8. This hog almost lived another day, but....
I was done with my morning hunt, strangely quiet, no hogs, no deer, no turkey, not even a coyote howling. It was looking like I was done. I got about 30 yds from the truck and heard hogs going at it about 50 yds away in a small section of thick stuff I had never been in before. I crawled under the fence ( barbed wire with electric) , I snuck in and saw nothing. I started grunting to try and get a response, a minute later I hear something behind me and get a glimpse of a hog in the thick brush. Looks big... so I get the scope up but the sun is so low and glaring off the glass, can't see squat. I grunt a few times and go after the hog...looks like it saw me too and is heading back to the open pasture where my truck is. I kind of step up the pace and reach the fence line right as the hog reached it too, just about 30 yds away. We see each other simultaneously and both bolt back into the brush, I guess at his escape route and guess right. But he gets past me...but then another and another and more...I get the scope fixed on one opening I had and wait for the next one to come through...when I see hair I take the shot on the shoulder. There were about 10 of them, gone.... dang it! I sneak through where I last saw them run, there she is. 230# dry sow and she was not one of the big ones! All of them were that big and bigger. Wow. The 6.8 once again does a complete pass through both shoulders on a big hog. Fun Morning. Ranch hand wanted meat so I boned her out and bagged it for him. We will both sleep well tonight!big sow Ms kays 001.JPG big sow Ms kays 004.JPG

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way cool Dan!!! Dang thing was as fat as it was long it looks like, just a fat ole football of a hog!! That picture looks good, just a round ole blob!!! GOOD ON YA!!! Hope you get one of the big ones!!? Would like to see that. BANG BANG!!!

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job!

BRUTE

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a healthy hoh. Nice.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice shot Dan'l. She's one fine sow there. Congrats, have yourself a ball chasing the rest of them.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
She had a good thick layer of white clear fat, these dry sows are nice eating. The wet sows and especially real black ones here tend to have a thin layer of yellow fat. This one was like a store bought hog. I don't think she feeds her Brahma's anything, just pasture so not sure why so fat.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good size hog you drilled there Dan. Congrats!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
6.8 go figure...you did good again, what ammo are you using? Fat and healthy hog, congrats

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
6.8 go figure...you did good again, what ammo are you using? Fat and healthy hog, congrats
I am impressed with this 6.8 round. A true advantage over the 223/556, there is no question about it. I am shooting 115 gr. Fusions. Can't recover the bullets to look at them because they go through and keep going with shoulder shots. Funny thing is, I shot both of these 6.8 hogs next to the farm house and she said she never heard either one. Magic.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am surprised the fusion goes through and through, must not be getting good expansion.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
AccuBondvsFusion1_zps76c6bdaa.jpg This is from the 68 forum. I know today's exit hole was large and a bloody mess. First hog exited opposite shoulder and must have hit a rib because a fractured chunk went out his rear end. I need more real life situations so I better go out in the morning again. lol

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
All I know is they don't expand in deer, just go right thru so I stopped using them guess if they hit someting tough or hard they are ok

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bought a bunch of them on clearance so I will have to make them work. I may shoot a doe Sunday night at a friends place so I will test them on a deer maybe too.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey I am sure they will do the job for you, at that price they are good to go

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Way to go Dan!! Nice sow there for sure. I had problems with the fusions on deer. I figured they would work better on hogs and see that they are doing good for you. If you shoot a deer with them and don't hit a large bone, the exit hole won't be very big and may not bleed much, but the inside will be a mess and they WILL die.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
awesome hunt.. another 6.8 cross over

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Seems like everyone is always proud of the hogs they have to work for to kill. Other hunters appreciate the stories too, I know I do. I guess thats what makes us hunters.