223 is killing me

SteveR

LSB Member
All of the recent ones, as well as the coyotes, were either standing still or walking at close range. I'm pretty much limited to .223 at night because that's all my PVS14 is rated for. I know I could probably use it on my 6.8 but I really don't want to take the chance. If I know I'll be hunting in daylight I usually take either my 6.8 or 308.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Really Steve, I did not know that about the PVS 14, the 6.8 is such a light recoil I did not even think about that.

SteveR

LSB Member
You would think so Frank. I have been told, sort of off the record, that it will handle the recoil of a 6.8 but I'm just to chicken to try it.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I injured one on a very light recoiling suppressed 9mm carbine. Apparently the case head diameter plays a huge roll.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey with the money you guys spend on this stuff I would be careful too

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You can look at tube specs and say/feel that it will "probably" handle it with no issues but last I heard ITT and L3 tubes are not warrantied from the manufacturer for anything over 5.56. There are numerous vendors out there that are selling them as covered for 6.8, 300 BO and 7.62x39 but I believe they are taking on the warranty themselves, which is great that they are willing to take care of their customers that way. I lost a tube in a PVS-24 clip-on that was on a 6.8 and they are rated for .308. There are scopes that are rated higher than 5.56 but they have shock mitigation in the housing or mount.

I shot a PVS-14 behind an EOTech that was mounted on a 6.8 for 3 years, killed lots of pigs with it and never had an issue but you can pop a tube on the first shot.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang Eric a tube blow out hurts the old wallet big time. The PVS-14 you sold me in old days still works like a champ. What is the difference these days vs back then. Mine was rated up to 7.63x39 which I shot a lot.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have blown out a omni viii L3 on a 6.8 while shooting. Not too crazy just controlled leading shots. Then all the sudden I though someone shot back at me with black spots in the tube. Sent it out for warranty and they replaced it at no charge.

Even though my new tube is rated for 6.8 it no longer is mounted to the gun. I just use the IR laser now, plus I can track and hit better with a laser anyways, plus it is faster. Now looking at thermal scope of the weapons sight and the PVS 14 will be for walking, driving, stalking, etc.

As for caliber selection. As Frank has said the bigger calibers have more room for error when pigs are on the run. Plus the heavier 120 gr on 6.8 will knock them down while running or at least slow them down.

Sure 308 pack more of a punch but at a recoil and muzzle rise cost.

As for the 6.5 vs 6.8, they are very close to each other with the 6.8 having a bit more energy under 200 yards and the 6.5 holds it energy better down range. What seals the deal for me on this debate is the 6.8 has more of a selection with ammo, guns, and parts than the 6.5 also the 6.8 bolt is stronger since the case head is smaller on the 6.8.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I injured one on a very light recoiling suppressed 9mm carbine. Apparently the case head diameter plays a huge roll.
Blow backs are a big no no with any PVS14. Something about the way it recoils.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang Eric a tube blow out hurts the old wallet big time. The PVS-14 you sold me in old days still works like a champ. What is the difference these days vs back then. Mine was rated up to 7.63x39 which I shot a lot.
No difference really it's just that the dealer warranties it for that caliber. IIRC the higher the Halo # the more resistant to recoil the tube is

D

djones

when i got a d740 i was told i needed a halo factor above .9 to be rated for a 308. a friend had one that was .87 (i think) and he shot it unsuppressed. tube went out after a few years which was probably a few hundred rounds.

mine is .91 but i shoot suppressed. guessing over a couple thousand rounds and it still works well.