10 for the week and it ain't over

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Farmer called me on Monday morning to tell me that he was plowing the corn field up and should be done by Tuesday night. Crop was a loss so it had to be destroyed.

I get there Tuesday a little early to take some pics and test a new ballistic/ranging app. As I am getting a wind sample with the new app I look over and a medium size hog is headed towards me. It was still daylight so I had to be careful on getting my rifle out of the truck. I turn on the LWTS and nothing, batteries were dead. I then carefully pulled it off and rested the rifle on the truck mirror. 1 shot hog goes down 65 yards in front of my truck. Ended up being a 170lbs boar.
IMG_2747_zpsncfve5u0.jpg

Hunted the rest of the night and bagged 4 more, 3 boars and 1 sow all in the 170 lbs to 190 pound range. They were all 2 far apart to drag together for a pic.
IMG_2751_zpssrmuc7ug.jpg

IMG_2749_zpsesti87rd.jpg

So then Thursday night I go back out there. I have a buddy of mine that wanted some of the meat so he offered to come hangout. I see him pull in the front gate with the W-1000 as I am scanning the field. He is about half way to me when I spot 2 large hogs. I call him real quick as I am grabbing my rifle and tell him to stop and don't turn the truck off, just sit there. I make the 500 yard stalk to them and 2 shots=2 hogs down. I called my field and told him to come to my flashlight. We loaded them up and he went to cut'n up. I had him laughing at my pig drive through/to go talk. He thought I only got 1 because he only heard 2 pops. I asked him he it was a bang, pop or a smack. He said it was 2 smacks. I told him that all he heard was the impact on the pigs. Advantages to shooting suppressed.
IMG_2753_zpswuawqeu5.jpg

At 5am I was getting ready to pack it up when I saw a sounder of 10-12. Made the stalk out to them and decided to take what seemed to be the alpha out. pulled the trigger and pig hit the ground, second target "click". Tap, rack, bank and hit but pig still going. Pulled the trigger "click". At this point I realize I am having cycling issues so I go into to single shot mode. Rack a round and 2nd pig drops, rack a round and miss, rack a round and 3rd goes down, rack a round and hit one as they are getting into the woods. Did not recover the last one. I recently put an adjustable gas block on the rifle and it ran flawless and the range for 60 rounds but guess I had it set to low. It know has some carbon build up on everything after the range and hunting so I will be bumping it up 1 more notch.
DSC01291_zpsgshxtrbg.jpg

All in all it has been a good week and I am planning on taking the woman tonight. The friend of mine ended up getting about 100 lbs of meat and 10 less pigs destroying land/crops. Win Win!!!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good recovery to changing equipment, and troubleshooting on the fly. Good looking pile of pigs there. Only 100 lbs.? Did your buddy get tired too soon?

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to go!! Nice hunt story and some dandy porkers!!! GOOD ON YA!!! BANG BANG!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Keep going more fun to be had this weekend!

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job on the hog reduction there E, Great writeup too.
What gas block are you fine tuning?

Dennis

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good recovery to changing equipment, and troubleshooting on the fly. Good looking pile of pigs there. Only 100 lbs.? Did your buddy get tired too soon?
He was just getting backstrap, front shoulders and rear hams off of them

Good job on the hog reduction there E, Great writeup too.
What gas block are you fine tuning?
Dennis
I run the SLR Rifleworks adjustable gas blocks. It was fine tuned and no problems until this outing. After looking at it today the BCG was pretty dirty. I am used to having stuff over gassed and running it dirty as hell. Think I will leave the gas block set where it's at and just clean the BCG more often.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A little wipe off of the BCG should do it.

Your beard is looking good. Reminds me of some of the guys in the Stan !!!!!!!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The corn fields have sure been producing hogs for everyone lately. I better go for a scouting drive, I'm getting itchy!

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great story, way to wipe em out!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome hunt... which gas block are you running? I had some feeding issues as well, they say 5 - 7 clicks from off usually works.. I also changed out the springs and buffer tubes and that fixed my feeding/jamming issues

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome hunt... which gas block are you running? I had some feeding issues as well, they say 5 - 7 clicks from off usually works.. I also changed out the springs and buffer tubes and that fixed my feeding/jamming issues

SLR Riflewroks and I've never had feeding issues until this incident. I like the way it shoots now compared to my old setup which was over gassed. Just not used to cleaning as often. I am pretty sure this issue is do to a dirty BCG. It is clean and will try again tonight.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice shooting Eric! Sounds like a great night out.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lol, it does require some extra work, but worth it.

Not really worth it to me. I want to kill pigs and as many as I can. The video gets in my way. Sitting in a stand is one thing but I am in and out of the truck all night long. To much crap to keep up with. TLM and I hunt the same way so much props to him for taking the time to do it.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not really worth it to me. I want to kill pigs and as many as I can. The video gets in my way. Sitting in a stand is one thing but I am in and out of the truck all night long. To much crap to keep up with. TLM and I hunt the same way so much props to him for taking the time to do it.

I feel the same ... my rifle and gear gets banged up from each hunt. I rather not mess with more than I have to. And I don't know how many times I've lost mags, flash lights .. and other pricey stuff!

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice going Eric - hefty pile of pigs. You got the lefty truck mirror rest thing down - going to award you a FCRRH (Fannin County Rednek Road Hunter) certification, lol.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice going Eric - hefty pile of pigs. You got the lefty truck mirror rest thing down - going to award you a FCRRH (Fannin County Rednek Road Hunter) certification, lol.
Be sure to teach him about putting strips of Gorilla Tape on the mirror frame... don't wanna scratch the finish on recoil. LOL