Zeus White hot or Black hot?

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What's your preference and why? I've only been able to get out 3 times, but I've been running white hot on the factory settings. I see very little detail, but of course pick them up at farther distance I think.

I'm thinking that black hot might show more detail, if contrast is adjusted etc. What setting are you running your Zeus on, does it change with temp and humidity? I would like to try adjusting contrast on both white and black hot to see if I can pick up more detail, but right now the rain isn't co-operating.

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I pretty much use all white hot. I know most of these guys shoot black hot. I don't see and reason to change much. See all the detail I need when properly adjusted.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
White hot seems best for detection ...

Black hot ... in good thermal conditions ... seems to most closely resemble daylight conditions ... but in poor thermal conditions doesn't do much for me. So I lean towards WH myself.

For walking around and observing ... I've been using the "red hot" pallet also ... in lieu of a decent brightness control ... it reduces headaches when using the thermal a lot for several hours.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Granted I've only been out once with mine, but got to mess with Lawman's thermals a few times. I noticed reach time he would use different settings depending on what the weather is doing. I think I prefer black hot for up close to shoot and white hot to spot. However, the palettes with color do better in high humidity and rain. It really depends on what looks best given the current conditions. Mess with it at the start of your hunt.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So far black hot looks like a hog more, white hot is not as detailed.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the feedback. It started thundering just before 5PM, I'm hoping it skirts around us or ends early tonight. I'm going to try and slip out tonight and do so observing even if it is raining. Hopefully the boar will be back out flipping grass that I messed up on a few weeks ago. If I don't see him right away I'll try adjusting contrast, etc and switching between white/black/sepia hot and see if I can get a little better detail on cows and calves in the pasture. That was just a little too scary last time, not ID'ing that calf.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use black hot 98% of the time my eye picks up the black hot faster. What ever pallet you are going to use fine tuning the settings for the environment will produce the best results. Sometimes I change the settings multiple times a night. Default should be more than good enough to hunt with but the settings just make it look so much better.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Black hot seems to have better detail for me. White works for detecting critters that are far out 500+yds for me.

With time you will figure out what works best for you.