Zeus Pro 4, Animals At Distance

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Nothing close enough to shoot, but still got some decent video.

Of course we didn't know the long distances at the time we were in the field. I worked out those later on Google Earth using various landmarks. I did wonder if I could have made a shot on the moving hogs. After running calculations, getting flight time, drop, etc., I figured out that to hit the biggest hog, the W&E would have required just over one complete hog-length lead and 4 feet of elevation for a flight time of 0.6 seconds.

Based on estimating the far distance of the water being about 200 yards, the Hessian guessed that the hogs were at 350+ yards, which wasn't a horrible guess, but we would have under shot significantly had we used dope for 350. I thought they were closer. Between the magnification and the clarity, they certainly seemed like they should have been closer, but they weren't.

I can remember my dope for this rifle out to 250 yards in 25 yard increments. I think next time we head up to the lake dam to hunt, I will bring a range card made from Google Earth and dope for 600 yards...

Maybe next time the hogs won't be so lucky...

Lancer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice detail at that distance!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Choot-'em! CHOOT-'em!!

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
The bacon goes to those who are prepared ... it is harder not to shoot when you see hogs than it is to shoot ... but having NOT shot this time ... you will be better prepared next time and far more likely to bring home the bacon ... we salute your diligence !!! :)

Did you have no stick or tripod? It looks like you are free handing ... you might want to bring a stick if you will shoot 400+ yards !
:)

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
300+ yards is a long way in the dark, but that scope makes it look very possible. What is the drop and energy of the 6.5 at 400 yards? I'm not familiar with the round at all.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The drop for that setup (16" barrel) and zero is about 4 feet for a 6.5 Grendel 123 gr. bullet leaving the barrel at about 2400 fps (1573 ft lbs) for the hogs at 425 yards. The bullet is going about 1780 fps with energy of 860 ft lbs when it would have precisely hit at the base of the ear...o_O

I think I would prefer the shot with my normal Grendel rifle which has a 20" barrel. It would it with 6" less drop and 970 ft lbs of energy at 1880 fps.

I zero at 100 yards as the vast majority of my shots are in the 80-140 yard range and so I have no discernible holdover or holdunder.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian,
It sounds like you have a ballistic program of some sort so run your drops with a 50 yard zero. I did that and found that a 50 yd had less over and under than a 100 yard zero.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
nicely done