Wounded warrior project

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So I have talked to a few people about this. The other day I was renewing my buckmaster magazine subscription and got to talking about vets and the wounded warrior hunts. Well the manager there told me if I do a build and take a lot of pictures of the process he will get it into their magazine as a Lone Star Boars project. As of right now I'm not looking for any donations until we know all the specifics of the build. What I don't have yet is a deserving candidate for the build. I talked to Alex and the law man who are both looking into it. As of right now I have a lot of parts for a build. I have a 223 barrel but the WW may want something else. If it goes that route the next step will be barrel and bolt. What I do have is a complete lower, stripped upper, bolt carrier, gas tubes and some scope mounts. As it comes together I'll post parts lists and see what is needed. If I can find a 6.8 barrel and bolt I think I'll just go ahead and start building. Frank and I are going to get together for assembly and do some range testing before it gets sent off. What I will need help with later on is delivery and testing. If it's someone in Texas I'll gladly ship the rifle to someone there to present it. Then I'll need more picture of our WW receiving the rifle and shooting it. With all of you out there who hunt like you do I'm sure we can work out some hog testing of the rifle as well. That would make great pictures for an article as well.

I'll keep everyone posted as it goes but right now if someone has a deserving candidate please get with me and we can talk it over. Thank you all in advance and I hope this goes well for everyone involved

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have done 2 of these on the 6.8 and local forum and it is quite involved but very rewarding. If the lower goes across state lines it will have to be shipped to an FFL and to the WW, so his name and location will have to be known prior to the build, or of course it can be built and the entire rifle shipped and transferred. Because of the straw purchase clause I cannot ship to say TLM for him to give away if the WW is in TX. Here in FL I simply did a Bill of Sale as they were all built and given here. All parts but the lower can be given & shipped freely.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Shipping it's the easy part. Getting it all organized will take time. Until then I'll just start piecing everything together

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm assuming (from what you said) that this is in association with Buckmaster Magazine, NOT "Wounded Warrior Project" (the organization)? My only reason for asking is... last year, Tom Gresham (of "Gun Talk") invited WWP (the organization) onto his radio program to lend them some promotional exposure to his national audience. His invitation was turned down on the basis of WWP will not associate itself/logo with anything having to do with guns and/or knives. Tom looked into this further (suspecting this was the view of an over-zelous underling within the organization). He was sent (and read it on the air) a letter from the leadership of WWP, confirming their policy as an entity. WWP had taken an anti-Second Amendment stand... and was last seen "back-peddling" partially... to keep those dollars coming in (don't you know).

http://www.examiner.com/article/wounded-warrior-project-faces-fallout-after-snubbing-gun-talk

http://www.guns.com/2012/11/15/wounded-warrior-project-clarification-anti-gun/

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It has nothing to do with the wounded warrior project or buckmaster magazine. This is just me trying to help out someone that served our country. If I can get a small article in the magazine to promote this site that will be great. If not I still want to do my part

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It has nothing to do with the wounded warrior project or buckmaster magazine. This is just me trying to help out someone that served our country. If I can get a small article in the magazine to promote this site that will be great. If not I still want to do my part

Gotcha... most noble of efforts too. I just get red flags flying left and right anytime I read/hear WWP. Between those two articles and ones I've read detailing accusations of "SCAM"...

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah I have heard bad things too so that is why I'm going this project through LSB basically. If I can get a little advertising out for the site because of it then great. I'm not looking to get some big article in a magazine to get my name out there. I'm looking to help someone who deserves it and I can't think of a better place to make it come together than here.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do not support WWP, they spend about .30 of each $ received for the Vets, the rest are costs and most go to family members running the side outfits. You can check their poor ratings (was a D)on the Charitywatch site. Fisher House and Intrepid Fallen Hero's Fund have A's. My builds have been to individual WW's with no association.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's exactly what I want

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you need a transfer in the Houston area let me know and will wave the fees. Plus I know I have some parts lying around here somewhere. I know for sure I have a 16" scout and 18" *** barrels in my safe.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
thank you very much. once we find a candidate we can figure out the transfer to him/her. i think i have a spare 6.8 bolt if we go that route

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That 16" Scout is being looked for by a lot of people since H only has the heavier one in stock.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah i was thinking that. might be one to hold on to

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i think im going to make the choice and start a 6.8. its the most popular and simplest rifle to build. how much for a barrel and bolt? i think we should put the LSB logo on it somehow and once we find a candidate we can put his/her name on it as well

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well im finally getting parts together. got my stock and upper today. thought i had a LPK but turns out i need to get another one. don't have a spare

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was wondering if this was still in the works. Did you ever locate a candidate?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have 1 556 complete and some parts for another...no candidate as of yet, really have not looked. I am friends w the VA clinic boss here and several WW. I try to give to those who cannot afford one themselves or the child of a deceased WW if there are adults in their life that know weapons and training.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't have one either but I'll be going through frank to find a worthy candidate