What video editor software are you using?

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How are you recording your video? Also what software are you using to do the editing? The first night I tried recording with a DVR I was starting and stopping the recording as I moved and stalked, also the DVR was starting a new recording every 5 minutes if the recording was more than 5 minutes long. This past weekend I just turned the DVR and let it run and it started a new recording every 5 minutes. I think I'm going to change that setting to at least 30 minutes or an hour.

The software that came with Windows 8.1 is Cybermedia version 10. I spent about 10 hours trying to put together a 6 minute video out of 30 minutes of video from 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately I've got 20 minutes of garbage that I need to delete on another track, one clip at a time (.10 seconds). No highlight function.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use sony vegas to edit with. Video editing is time consuming there is not much to fix that, for every hour of video you take there may be 5 minutes of usable film so always take more than you need.

For recording I turn it on and turn it off manually not set recording time.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Windows Movie Maker is a pretty simple program to use that will handle pretty much all of your basic video editing needs. It is a free download from Microsoft.

I usually don't shoot more than 2-5 minutes on a hunt, but may get 20 or 30 minutes if there is a lot of neat animal activity. Depending on how many different things I video and how much video I have, editing can take anywhere from 1-5 hours between actual video editing, photo cropping and use, and if I add in music or voice over.

Your DVR can be set to not start a new segment every 5 minutes. That is in the setup/menu of the DVR. I think the settings include 5, 10, 20, or infinite.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes, I
Your DVR can be set to not start a new segment every 5 minutes. That is in the setup/menu of the DVR. I think the settings include 5, 10, 20, or infinite.
Yes, right now it is set to segment every 5 minutes, I think I'm going to just set it for infinite. I thought about just trying to record right before and after the shot, but after looking at the 2 nights of video there is a lot of other things happening in that small screen that aren't visible, until you get them blown up onto the computer screen.

I down loaded a copy of Wonderware last night it's supposed to leave a watermark unless you upgrade to the "bought" version. Maybe I'll see what the cost is before learning it.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have used the edit features in YouTube. You can easily trim and join individual clips.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I downloaded iskysoft video editor for free last night. I edited my first video and it looks okay, but I have some learning to do.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I downloaded iskysoft video editor for free last night. I edited my first video and it looks okay, but I have some learning to do.
Your preaching to the choir right now.... It took me almost 6 hours to edit maybe 30 minutes of video down to 6.5 minutes. The software wasn't very intuitive, and even though it came on the computer it's not a full working version. No subtitles, or other features.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Your preaching to the choir right now.... It took me almost 6 hours to edit maybe 30 minutes of video down to 6.5 minutes. The software wasn't very intuitive, and even though it came on the computer it's not a full working version. No subtitles, or other features.
I found out today that it is a sample download. If I want to download my video I have to pay the forty bucks for the program. I'm still on the edge about getting it, but once I figured it out to a point and some pointers from Brian I kinda like it.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I used the cybermedia on windows 8.1 and it's a partial version. I'm going to try wonderware trial version, and see how see how easy it is. I may go with it. I tried downloading MovieMaker and it sent me back to Wonderware so maybe I clicked on the wrong link.

miket

Plantersville, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I bought Sony Vegas several years ago. I have no complaints, but there is definitely a learning curve. Dont misunderstand, Im not very good at it and dont really have the patience to put too much effort into em.