What to do with power pole bases?

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey guys, I ended up with a few power poles when the local coop came thru and buried the lines. To the north and south of our hunt club property every pole on the side of the road I see has some signs of pig rubbings on it. There are currently no poles on our little 5000 acres. I took the ones I got that were especially heavy laden with creosote and cut off the bases at around 6-8' long with grand intentions of stickin'em in the ground around the club. With the thought being that if they like the creosote that much these isolated locations may be frequented. But I couldn't get the poles on the trailer with the tractor and backhoe on there so I'll hafta tak'em up separate.

Anyways, I was tryin to come up with somethin else to try with'em till I can make that 3 hour hike with the tractor again. Thought about mebbe puttin a big ring lag in the top of'em and settin'em out like pig pipes on the ground. Is there a reason that wouldn't work? Any other suggestions? Thanks.. d:^) Jake..

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
One of the power poles next to a hayfield has been rooted around so much there is a 3' deep hole at the base of the pole. Its a spot i always check, but have yet to catch any hogs in the act.

There is another spot on a 500 acre hayfield I always wanted to plant 4 poles and build a 8x8 stand 20' up.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good for drainage issues.
Border for garden.
Just don't try burning one - bwhahaha

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just used one as a corner post doing some fencing. It is cemented in...stout corner post!

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I used 3 of them to hold the cattle gate on my driveway - 2 for when it is closed and one to tie to the gate when open. I've got 400 lbs of cement holding each one in place.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like your first idea best. I've seen the same thing that slim has. They also like oil spills. A fertilizer truck blew a line in one of my fields and left a 25 gal oil pool and we now water ski on the crater the hogs made................well maybe not that big but I had to use a blade to smooth it over so it would not tear my equipment up when I crossed it. It was a easy 3 foot deep and 5 foot wide. Have thought about taking my used motor oil and pouring it in a good spot to shoot hogs off of.

D

djones

... Have thought about taking my used motor oil and pouring it in a good spot to shoot hogs off of.
i'm already thinking of how i'm going to spend the reward money from the epa

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You guys are fulla chit! Hehehe.:D

I dunno. I'm still thankin creosote poles where there ain't any would be a hot property.
But then again, what does my 0 for o pig killin azz know about it? :confused: d:^) Jake..

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You guys are fulla chit! Hehehe.:D

I dunno. I'm still thankin creosote poles where there ain't any would be a hot property.
But then again, what does my 0 for o pig killin azz know about it? :confused: d:^) Jake..
Not sure if putting up creosote poles will bring the hogs running. If it did we would have poles all over the place! Haha

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i'm already thinking of how i'm going to spend the reward money from the epa
Hey, I tripped and dropped it. Or "I don't recall" or even "I can't remember". Do those ring a bell?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey, I tripped and dropped it. Or "I don't recall" or even "I can't remember". Do those ring a bell?
You forgot: "I did not have sexual relations with..."

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If nothin else it's somethin to mess with in the woods.
Good enough fer my sorry azz. :cool: d:^) Jake..

I say cut them all up in 10' sections and randomly plant them across the property, and see what happens.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Actually if you plant enough of them you could make one of those Ninja courses and charge people to come out and then you could afford to lease a piece of property full of hogs.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
where OinK is concerned, any of the following could complete that sentence...

goat
sheep
calf
prickly pear cactus
djones
There, fixed it for yaz.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I don't think planting poles will draw them in alone. Now, placing the poles where there is already activity may increase the time spent in that are. If you feeders or pig pies place the poles near them. It might hold the hogs in that area a while longer.

They also work great to build an elevated box blind.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We have the same thing here with the hogs rubbing on the creosote poles. You can simulate that with a 4x4 wrapped is carpet soaked in Kreso-Dip, it turns into a social post and serves to help keep ticks and other nuisance off them. Put your cut offs at trail points that are easily hunted. I see the rubs also on pine trees for the sap along established trails but seldom off the trail not on the way to something.

nathan koepp

Cibolo,TX
One of the power poles next to a hayfield has been rooted around so much there is a 3' deep hole at the base of the pole. Its a spot i always check, but have yet to catch any hogs in the act.

There is another spot on a 500 acre hayfield I always wanted to plant 4 poles and build a 8x8 stand 20' up.
I used to hunt a distant relatives property in Deep South Texas he had made the hunting cabin on top of telephone poles real cool setup Windows and sand bags on each corner with a sendera and feeder on each used to shoot the mess out of some pigs.