Veteran's Day/Contender Buck

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I did it! It has taken me a couple of years, but I finally did it. Much like Mic68 in this thread, http://www.lonestarboars.com/threads/ar-hog-goal.2025/#post-28389 , I have been trying for an animal with every hunting caliber firearm I have and now its done.

Two years ago my Dad gave me his contender pistol with a 375 JDJ and a 35 Remington barrel. He said he got to take one buck with it in the time he had it. He ended up giving it to me because the recoil is too hard on his hands now and I'm the only son of 3 that reloads. The 375 JDJ is a reloading only cartridge because the brass is formed from 444 marlin brass. It took me a while to get comfortable shooting it and to feel confident in my ability to cleanly take game with it. It is a 14" bull barrel, single shot pistol and weighs a good amount for a pistol.

This morning I went and watched a field that had a few tracks in it and I wasn't really expecting to see many deer if any at all. I was ready to take a doe and my hopes weren't high. The property I was on has not produced many deer the past couple of years, but it is the only place I have to shoot deer in Texas. I got to my spot about 0615 and was done with the hunt by 0705. This guy came in to about 60 yards and I let him have a 220 grain hornady flatnose softpoint at 2000 fps. He didn't go far after that because the exit wound was about the size of a silver dollar. He is not a record breaking buck by any means and is barely over a 13" inside spread (legal buck in my county), but he is a trophy to me because the pistol I used to take him is the same one my Dad used. Thanks Dad!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great job! What a bang that must have been. A proud day Indeed, Congrats!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks guys. The 375 jdj recoils like someone hitting your hands one time with a jack hammer. You have to just roll with it.

mc68

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great job. I look forward to passing on my guns to my kids some day.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice buck there, better than any white tail I've bagged (haven't yet). Hand cannons, gotta love 'em.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
congrats, good buck, bet its fun trying not to flinch shooting that hand cannon

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I didn't even feel the recoil with the deer in front of me. Adrenaline works wonders.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great shooting Alex. Venison in the freezer is always a way good thing. Coolest thing was the pistol from your Dad

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great shooting Alex. Venison in the freezer is always a way good thing. Coolest thing was the pistol from your Dad

This buck is really special to me for that exact reason Rob. Dad is getting up in the years these days and I'm trying to squeeze in as many things like this as I can.

He loves to fish and I've been thinking about planning a fishing trip to the Gulf with him in the next couple of years. I just have to set a little cash aside so all he needs to do is show up

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This buck is really special to me for that exact reason Rob. Dad is getting up in the years these days and I'm trying to squeeze in as many things like this as I can.

He loves to fish and I've been thinking about planning a fishing trip to the Gulf with him in the next couple of years. I just have to set a little cash aside so all he needs to do is show up
Enjoy him while you can. Had some great times with mine before he was gone.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My Dad is 84 so any time with him is a gift in my mind. Lost my Mom last summer in 13. Don't put off do as fast as you can.