Using a hog to dig for mushrooms...

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Down San Marcos way, a couple of months ago about midnight. He was rooting around in a small clearing; I angled in for a clean shot at about 60 yards off my bipod.

Evidently, he had already seen a preview of the upcoming feature, because he started trotting when I lit him up with the red scopelight. I opted for a quick heart shot with the Springfield 30.06; he ran for about 30 yards and dropped before I could reacquire him (the downside of a bolt action).

Didn't find the exit from the .220 grain, but that's not unusual. However, during the knife sharpening clinic improperly referred to as "butchering", I heard a clink against the Marbles blade and recovered the round. It traveled through the heart and lodged halfway through the opposite shield.

Now, I make no pretense of being a shooter or ballistics aficionado. I respect those who are, but when any free time arises, it's spent in the field. And the only reason I throw a 220 grain round downrange is that they don't make a 221.

That said, I'm wondering if I should move to another round that will penetrate far enough to reach a second hog. I've had three doubles, but wasn't able to recover both hogs in thise cases. Is it realistic for me to expect a 30.06 round to cause sufficient damage for both hogs to be DRT?

This, by the way, is an entirely different question than, "What should my next rifle purchase be?"

IMG_0119.jpg IMG_0137.jpg IMG_0157.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am shocked that did not pass through at that distance w a 30-06..Nice size hog but I would have thought thru both shields and out..good expansion 220gr what?.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Me too, I would expect an exit wound. M'be a Barnes solid copper?

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am shocked that did not pass through at that distance w a 30-06..Nice size hog but I would have thought thru both shields and out..good expansion 220gr what?.

Traveling right now and unable to verify - I believe Winchester Core-Lokt soft point.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well it killed a big hog, not sure why I expect more but a 30-06 is a powerful rd.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Terminal ballistics are often unpredictable in the first target and would be a total crap shoot into a second. You can hope for DRT doubles, but expecting DRT doubles might be a little much. If you want to be more assured of overpenetration of a first hog to kill a second hog, then you would want a very large caliber solid or large game hunting round with a really high sectional density such as a .470 nitro express.

If that blood stain is the entry wound and you managed to hit the heart, the hog was quartered away that that bullet traveled through a lot of soft tissues to traverse the hog at that trajectory. As such, I could see why it did not overpenetrate.