Unv mdvr or armasight hd dvr

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have the UNVR MDVR, works ok. Depending on which type of extended battery connector came with the battery pack will determine if it'll work or not. One of my Battery packs came with a video connector jumpered into the battery connector. One is just a straight line in.

Mcgilbery

LSB Member
I use the UNV one for my Reap-IR. It records the video, but it doesn't due any justice for the clear resolution of the ReapIR. Don't own the Armasight so I can't comment.

Russ Wickline

LSB Active Member
I have the UNVR MDVR, works ok. Depending on which type of extended battery connector came with the battery pack will determine if it'll work or not. One of my Battery packs came with a video connector jumpered into the battery connector. One is just a straight line in.
Mine came with the 8pin and what looks like a video connector

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The MDVR will hook right into the yellow video connector that you have on yours.

Russ Wickline

LSB Active Member
The MDVR will hook right into the yellow video connector that you have on yours.
I think I was making harder than it is. I was think the mdvr would get the power from the extended battery. Then I read more about the mdvr and it has its own battery. Sorry it's a Monday.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Does the MDVR and Armasight HD recorder have the same type plug in connector? I was wondering if custom cables made for the MDVR will also work with the new Armasight HD recorder?

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
UNV MDVR came with everything I needed to hook to my Armasight Zeus 640 3-24x75mm. It it even came with a pouch and remote switch. In the next day or so I''l post some pictures up of my set-up. I've taken a few video's but I'm no videographer like Todd Huey or Brian Shaffer. So you will not see any videos from me. I barely mange to play them on my home computor

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
"I've taken a few video's but I'm no videographer like Todd Huey or Brian Shaffer. So you will not see any videos from me. I barely mange to play them on my home computer"

Trust me I know the feeling! I've used gen 2/gen 3 NV for over 20 years now and thermal systems going on over 5 years. That said videoing through thermal systems and NV with special attachments has been nothing but frustration to me. I've never went fancy doing any editing video like folks here do making great videos to watch just basic point and shoot videos. Heck it seems like if half my video attempts work out that's great for me, I can't even tell you how many times I shot some great thermal video and get home and its not saved on the card :mad:!!!

I need to update my video gear myself but all these different DVR's and such can be pretty confusing. Many say "HD video" however that seems like over kill to me I would think anything that recorded 640x480 at 30-60hz would be all you need for thermal?

We could really use a pinned up DVR thread with how to basics.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
IMG_20160607_190131_873.jpgThis is a picture of the UNVR MDVR hooked up to an Armasight extended battery pack that came with the video cable as part of the 8 pin connector. I put some extra heat shink on there to prevent the wire from getting cut or tore off when walking in the brush. Yep, you guessed it, it happened to me. Thankfully Armasight put a new wire harness on there for me free of charge when I sent my Thermal units in for the update. Thank you Armasight!

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
IMG_20160607_190044_961.jpgThis is the MDVR with a different style harness that was made by a board member for me, works great. This is the one I use when I have mounted to my rifle.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
IMG_20160607_185823_627.jpgI have the UNVR MDVR mounted to my brass catcher. Everything I used to mount it to the brass catcher is included with the MDVR. Notice I'm not using the extended battery pack. I have a second thermal unit I use for scanning. I only turn my rifle mounted one on when we're on the pigs. The start-up is pretty fast, so no issues there. Now remembering to turn the MDVR on is! lol

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
IMG_20160607_190209_552.jpgHere's the Armasight extended battery pack mounted to my Armasight Zeus 640 3-24x75. It's sitting on top of my 6.8 spc upper made for me by Eric at Blackstone Arms. Notice I have a BoBro engineering mount for the Zeus. It's a great mount, Aaron at Night Combat Solutions is the only one that has them.

D

djones

...Thankfully Armasight put a new wire harness on there for me free of charge when I sent my Thermal units in for the update.
when i sent my zeus in for the upgrade i asked them to clean the lenses and check the focus ring because it's tight at when rotated far right and loose at far left. got the unit back timely enoguh, but no other services were performed. not overly impressed.

This is the MDVR with a different style harness that was made by a board member for me, works great...
i thought i was getting crappy external battery life. eventually i put in a set of fresh 18650s without changing the 123s. when i saw the battery indicator was still low i figured out the external pack wasn't supplying power to the scope. i tested the pins and confirmed no power output. couple of emails to armasight ('returns' and 'andrew') went unanswered. really not impressed now. i don't want to hear that i should have called. they should respond to their email, especially when their recorded message says to send to email 'return'!!!

took the connector apart and saw the most pathetic soldering crap you can imagine. the vid wire was hanging on by one thread of the cable. the power was so clogged up with solder it was shorting out. i dressed it up and insulated the connections, so it's working now, but what a piece of crap.

the cable that came with the unit that would allow me to run the ext battery and the dvr together has two other lengthy cables attached to it. using it would be a total cluster phuk.

please... tell me who is the guy that makes custom cables

D

djones

grrrrr.... ive been doing that. its a pain. theres gotta b a better way. one thing i do like is the 90 degree bend on cable so it doesnt stick up so high. side port wud b sooo much better

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It's a straight 8 pin connector with a hole drilled in the side and cable run thru it. Much cleaner modification. I need to do it to my extended battery pack before mess up that harness too.

D

djones

please... tell me who is the guy that makes custom cables
hurry, i'm peeing in my pants!!

seriously, i can understand not putting a name and contact info out in public. if i go that route im pretty sure i can find him. but ive seen enuf info that ill prolly build my own if i get motivated enuf

D

djones

update... i looked back at my emails and the one to 'return@..." was for the vendor, not armasight. my apologies. please understand that i'm full of crap half the time anyway
hammer_zpsf379c626.gif

Russ Wickline

LSB Active Member
View attachment 3520Here's the Armasight extended battery pack mounted to my Armasight Zeus 640 3-24x75. It's sitting on top of my 6.8 spc upper made for me by Eric at Blackstone Arms. Notice I have a BoBro engineering mount for the Zeus. It's a great mount, Aaron at Night Combat Solutions is the only one that has them.
I love that mount. Checking them out now. I like how it rises the scope up. At least from the picture. Do you mind if I ask how much for the mount.

Last edited: