Two more down....missed my first double by "that much"

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Been hunting regularly, still chasing Dozer but when a few piggies come in to the feeder, you gotta do what you gotta do, right...LOL!!

Went down last week on Tuesday night for a peace and tranquillity session in the tower blind as we have been moving for the last week.
There has been more and more pig activity in the area since I rebuilt and installed the feeder the pigs tore down in the summer.
I was relaxing, watching for black blobs in the moonlight as it was light enough without night vision.
I was looking all around as this stand is on a tall tower and you can see a long way in ALL directions.
As I looked back at the feeder, a small sounder of 6 or 7 came in and made themselves at home.
Previously that morning, I had laid down a nice corn line running directly at blind so they would line up.

I gave them a few minutes to settle down and lined up on the biggest sow with a smaller pig between her and me.
Just as I squeezed of a round, the smaller pig in front moved ever so slightly and took a shoot thru both ears just at the top of her head but I also hit the larger pig in the right front shoulder, a little too far forward but took out that leg and she tipped over.
The smaller pig was confused and walking in circles and I got a good second shot on her but she still ran off, running into brush and squealing.
As I came back to the larger pig, it stood up on three and started a desperation run, quickly getting out of sight in the brush.
I could hear her grunting and stomping around, then heard her crash thru the fence only to stumble off into the deep brush.
That part of the creek bottom is pretty thick so I didn't look for them that night.

I went out the next morning and walked around looking for them but no luck.
I was sure I had put decent hits on both of them so I waited and watched for buzzards to help me find them..
The weather was cold so they didn't start drawing buzzards until late Friday afternoon.
Saturday, about mid morning, there was a steady stream of buzzards in the area I had walked.
I went to the area where the buzzards were and there were both of them, laying about 25 feet apart in a small gulley.
I had apparently walked within about 50 feet of them just days before.
Couldn't tell much about them at this point but they look to have been about 150-180(maybe) and about 100-110.

The bigger one looked like she was about to drop so I may have scored extra points there!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good for you, took out a breeder!! I do hate losing meat though, what were you shooting?

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job. Never fun when you can't find them right away. Down here it doesn't take buzzards long to form up on a missing kill

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No bacon for you that day... but, congrats on pluggin' a pair.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
See, even with missing a double, you still had a great time...and that is what matters most!

Seriously, great job and way to stay on target and pick up the second score.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice job thinning the population.

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yeah, I hate to waste good bacon as I have a group of folks who are on hard times that really enjoy it.

It was freezing or right at it during that week so they didn't start attracting buzzards for a few days.

As for the second shot...heck, even I get lucky once in a while - I figured it was Karma because I missed the double I tried so hard to set up..LOL!

Oh well, there will be more!