Two Hogs W/Experimental 94 gr. GMX Bullets

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It has been a while since I got a hog down in Bosque County. The oats were harvested and they keep rotating cattle between pastures and the cattle keep getting the corn from my feeder. So I have been left to random stalking areas where I think hogs might be and that hasn't proven terribly fruitful on the 2 sections of land. So this week, I thought I would try calling coyotes and maybe a hog would walk by, maybe. That didn't work out at all. After 2 hours, the only hogs I had seen was a sow and two piglets that were in the pasture when I arrived in the truck, but they disappeared pretty quick.

I headed back to the truck to drop off the calling gear and get some water and then planned to stalk the areas around the bottoms. Low and behold, there were hogs only about 150 yards beyond my truck! I dropped my unnecessary (noisy) gear in the road and made the approach to my truck. The wind was in my favor, but the dry, crunchy grass made a LOT of noise and so I didn't make it very far beyond my truck before setting up to shoot.

I shot 3 hogs, the first hog being hit twice that I heard, but he managed to get away. So no information on him.

The next two hogs I picked up on the run, the first dropping in place (liver and heart damage) and the second managing about 70 yards (liver and lung damage).

As HuntTxHogs has pointed out to me, Grendel velocity may be a bit low for Hornady GMX ammo (citing Chuck, failing to get the full potential out of it. I have a few more rounds to try and see if the results are duplicated. (Hornady GMX Bullets and Ammunition) Without recovering the boar shot before the DVR was spooled up, won't know the bullet performance on him.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shooting Brian! 6 confirmed kills w/2 shots!

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice job, Brian!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video and good hogs down!

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job on the 2+4 hog kills Brian.
How was the 0100 contact with Rio Vista's finest?

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
I like the idea of a lightweight GMX unfortunately I just don't see it being optimal if the bullet is not on point with a major organ or CNS.

I dig your Armasights image and the Grendel caliber!

Last edited:

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome, way to get em on the run Brian!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got the first hog kills with the 100 gr GMX in the 6.8 they hit hard but they were designed for the 6.8

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
I got the first hog kills with the 100 gr GMX in the 6.8 they hit hard but they were designed for the 6.8

Did you recover any of those bullets and what were the distances?

Brian - these experimental pills , did they start with a 120gr 6.5mm boat tail and take the weight off the back? Is it more like a flat base bullet as a result?

Some of the early tests with the 6.8 100gr GMX were done with flat base bullets vs what is loaded and offered now.

I'm not positive on what effect that has on pressures and performance but it cannot be ruled out.

The idea of Hornady releasing a 6.8 GMX is a good one, until we see what recovered bullets look like at 100 - 200 yards it is anybodies guess what it's performing like.

HTXH

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice Job! Thanks for the vid.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What it the purpose of a 94gr in the grendel instead of the heavier 123SST or the other rd you were using? I would think heavier the better on hogs??

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What it the purpose of a 94gr in the grendel instead of the heavier 123SST or the other rd you were using? I would think heavier the better on hogs??

Frank, I am not sure. The guy lathing these has found them great for deer and wants to know if they will do well on hogs.

I think the SST is great, but a lot of rounds will do well. When I get done Beta testing ammo for folks, I will go back to SST, I think.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks, I was just curious, as I run the heaviest effective bullet I can for every caliber and 94 gr is getting real close to a 556 weight. The 90 GD in the 6.8 I use for target practice and rabbits...