Two for one special and deer playing in the water

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
After dinner I decided to head out for a night time stalkathon to whack some hogs. First place I get to I spot a group of about ten hogs under a feeder about 6-700 yards out. I get out of the truck and make the long and incredibly slow approach. As I get within about 200 yards the hogs begin to scatter for some reason. I get closer and can see a buck that moved under the feeder. Im thinking crap! I just spent all this time slow walking on a rocky road trying to be super quite just so a random deer can spook my hogs off!

Well, no not really. The hogs simply were on the other side of the fence line eating up the corn on that side. Once I spotted them again i sneak into position about 60-70 yards from the feeder and took a knee waiting for them to come through the gate opening. Well they didnt go through the gate opening. The biggest hog of the group leaped over the damn fence and all the other hogs followed suit. Never had i seen this before. Hogs that could hurdle a nearly 4 foot tall barbed wire fence. These creature always seem to amaze me. Anyways, now they are back on the feeder side of the fence line so i can get a proper shot. I wait for the largest hog to get a wee bit closer. I place the IR laser behind its ear and fire....THUD! That hog takes off wounded I fire some more shots at the tiny little piglets running off to the right and i believe i may have clipped one of them as i heard some moaning sounds from that direction.

After the chaos their is this little piglet squealing right where i shot the big hog. I was just kinda like what the hell is this? I wasn't going for s piglet. Well it turns out that piglet was directly behind the hog and suffered from a bad case of the wrong place wrong time syndrome.

After walking around trying to find blood of the other hog I finally found some and followed it into the brush about 50 yards or so. It was bleeding heavily, but I was behind schedule hitting my other spots and decided I'll recover it in the morning.

After i leave here i decided to hit a location i baited heavily earlier. It holds a lot of water when we get rain and there are two ponds that are fully stocked at the moment. I drive close with the headlights off and get out to look around. I spot a large boar by itself at about 150 yards away in a clearing between the two ponds. Perfect location as this is one of the few spots that is not rocky and I can get really close. I get to the first pond and low and behold their is a deer. It hears me and starts spazzing out running around in circles in the pond making all sorts of racket. The hog pops his head up and before I could squeeze off a desperation shot he makes it into the brush.

So there ya go...another long winded story full of excitement, drama, and suspense.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm laughing because opening weekend a deer hunter is complaining because the deer is spooking off the pigs. Hahaha. Good job on the 2'fer and I have also never seen a hog jump like that.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job! With all the activity of deer hunters the hogs tend to be more scarce this time of year...I hate it when they mess up my hog hunting. All the corn on the ground gives the hogs too many buffets to visit each night. Then the darn deer eat all my hog corn!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i had the opposite problem, i couldn't get anything to come into my bait sites at all

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
possibly. i couldn't believe all the deer and turkey i saw on the streets driving around up there i just couldn't get anything but small does into the bait sites and even they wern't eating corn. i have a friend up there who has a piece of land so im going next weekend to hunt his food plots. he says he has lots of big deer. and by big i mean florida big, so not that big lol

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Since my plots came in everything is on them, Turkey, deer, hogs even some yotes.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i want a turkey for this year but didn't see much for them except crossing the roads. im hoping i can get on one this weekend

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well after walking nearly a mile following a non stop blood trail I gave up. It lead me to a nasty thick creek bottom and I said enough is enough.

There has been a pattern lately that I am not liking. While the 90gr Gold Dots were impressive at the start of my using them I have had four hogs unrecovered lately from using this bullet. The was that thread of the two zombie hogs a while back and then last week a monster hog took two rounds and never bleed and now this one.

Maybe I need more practice using an IR laser. I dont believe its off as I zeroed it at the range to fit inside of the eotech reticle at 50 yards and I always use shooting sticks so my aim is steady. I never had these problems using the 120sst. Which leads me to believe its time to switch my SBRs over to the SSTs and ditch the gold dots for a while. This sucks because I went a little crazy when PSA had the gold dots on sale a while ago and bought 1k rounds. Should've done more testing before buying that much.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
have you ever been able to recover one of the gold dots? see how they perform?

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm laughing because opening weekend a deer hunter is complaining because the deer is spooking off the pigs. Hahaha. Good job on the 2'fer and I have also never seen a hog jump like that.

We are a level 3 MLD so our season opened back on the last Saturday in September so I have already shot a few bambis and so this weekend I was dedicated to killing hogs. But yes it is quite funny how a deer hunter who enjoys shooting our ever growing hog population gets pissed that deer are screwing up hog hunts. It is always one or the other. Last weekend i was playing guide for one of my friends and we were after this monster 12 pointer I have pics of and as the buck was making its way to the the feeder this boar pops out and scares the deer away. He popped the boar with a lovely behind the ear shot to claim his first hog.

So basically if i am trying to take a deer a hog always seems to show up. If I am out trying to hunt hogs, deer show up. The joys of killing critters and the annoying things they do.

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Unfortunately no. My kill count with the gold dot was at ten about a month ago and they were all pass throughs. Never had a problem recovering hogs either. Just recently I added the IR laser and perhaps I am not being as precise as I was using the NV behind the eotech. So marginal shots may not be so forgiving using this bullet. The 120ssts though are devastating even with a shoulder or lung shot.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
im trying to sell off all my heavier .277 bullets from my 270 to get some better bullets for my spc. i was looking at the 120sst's. if i sell these off i might just get a ton of the 120's

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great story really enjoyed it felt like I was there. The gold dot info has me worried as I just ordered 1000 myself. But not surprising nothing including the Barnes 95ttsx has been able to keep up with the 110 sst in my experience.

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
im trying to sell off all my heavier .277 bullets from my 270 to get some better bullets for my spc. i was looking at the 120sst's. if i sell these off i might just get a ton of the 120's

120 ssts are an excellent choice. I think what I might do is switch my deer gun to the Gold Dots and test them out on a few does or spikes and then use the 120s for my hog guns. This way I still can use both stockpiles of ammo.

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I get my fair share of hog kills but it still isnt frequent enough to get real good feedback. Any testing you do with the gold dots on live targets would be greatly appreciated. Next trip I am going to spend some serious time at the range and work on my IR shooting and try to eliminate that variable from the equation.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I figure if I order like 500 i can get them out and test. I know my rifle is accurate so I'll run just the scope and see what I can get on for hogs. I'm not too worried about zombie hogs with the 120's. I just need to work up the perfect load for my rifle . I figure I can dial it in easily and then load up a few hundred. Then I'll just head to the glades and hit the trails. Gives me a reason to do my camping trip in the back country of the Everglades where a friend has some property

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 90 GD bullets were all sold and unless another mistake happens you will have to buy loaded ammo.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm going to stick with 110's and 120's for my rifle

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Im not worried about the gold dot's effectiveness with well placed shots, my concern is will it anchor them while they are running away like the 120 sst.