lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I’m a fan of shooting sticks, particularly tripods.

Started ten years with a homemade bipod, then moved to the first gen Triggerstick bipod. There were a couple of problems with this model, but it functioned fairly well while it lasted. Which wasn’t long.

I still have a later version as a backup backup. (Not a typo).

Several advantages to a tripod - the ability to remain upright when you let go is the most significant.

I use the Bog-Pod RLD-3 lightweight, durable and well worth the 80 bucks. It’s best suited for level terrain. Adjust the legs to shooting height, twist to tighten and you're done.

Even extended, it fits easily in the back of the SUV, although I usually keep the yoke pointed toward me to avoid hanging up on other gear.

(I recommend taking a moment to actually read the Bog Pod instructions on how to fix the leg when you inevitably overextend it).

As with most of my gear, I make a couple of modifications.

I rarely collapse the legs, but have marked their optimal extension with a white grease pencil for easy reset.

Eventually, the leg end caps WILL eventually come off in the field. I remove, add a glob of Gorilla Glue and replace.

I usually hunt without gloves, and wrap each extended leg at the carrying point with Coban or the identical (but much cheaper at Tractor Supply) Vet Wrap. Helps prevents a cold hand in the winter, and slipping from sweat in the heat.

Adding reflective material to the tripod greatly aids finding it in the dark. Tape will work, but the mighty Nite Ize reflective cord is my favorite. I tie several strands to I have some handy.

Finally, a label with my name and phone number. (Most of my gear is similarly marked, forcing the finder to make the conscious decision to contact me or steal it).

I also have the heavier Trigger Stick Gen 3, which I use when guiding someone without their own gear. I set the Bog-Pod at their shooting height, and they don’t have to deal with any moving parts.

My thermal mono spotter goes in my left hand and tripod in the right; I typically have companion walk a couple steps behind me on the left to avoid getting jabbed.

If you have any tripod mods – I’m all ears.

63D4092E-637D-4895-ABAD-94FA23A63A6D.jpeg

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
'Cuz I'm cheap, but think tripods are a good idea, I kinda rolled my own.

Heavy-duty camera tripod from a garage sale, with a home-made shooting rest.

The rest is a 2x4 with a big cutout for the rifle. I painted it black and lined it with a piece of foam that's made to fit between a window A/C unit and the window frame. The tripod mount part is a small (about 1" by 3") steel plate to which I welded a ¼ x 28 nut. The plate is screwed to the bottom of the 2x4.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
(If you were truly cheap, I doubt if you would have invested a few grand in a welding rig).

Looks like a very solid rig for stationary shooting.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Didn't you see the piano in the background? He needed the welding rig to make periodic repairs to the piano.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
(If you were truly cheap, I doubt if you would have invested a few grand in a welding rig).
Believe me, I tried for several years to talk my buddies into buying a welder so I wouldn't have to. They were even more stubborn that I am!

But, you'd be surprised how much I've saved by having a welder. :cool: Actually, it's just a small, 110V MiG unit that I also picked up at a garage sale (not working) for $10. A couple of hundred dollars later I had a working welder! I like it, mainly because it not only has continuously variable wire speed adjustment, but also continuously variable current setting as well (rather than 2 or 4 switch-selectable settings).

Back on topic, adding reflective tape to the tripod is high on the list of things to do. Gluing on an address label & phone number also sounds like an excellent idea.

Last edited: