Tracking Point. Some thoughts from shooting it

SC-Texas

Texas Gun Trust
The recording through the scope thread made me think of this:

I was invited to a tracking point demo in September. They set up on the 600 yard line and put me behind the rifle. August Crocker walked me through the system and I sent a few rounds down range.

First impressions. . . . . WOW. Makes life easy.

You still have to apply the fundamentals. A steady hold, Good technique. . . . You have to be able to mark the target exactly where you want the POI to be. Good breathing . . . You have to sweep the rifle over the locked spot on the Target to get it to release the round. The trigger technique is different . . . You have to move the rifle over the marked spot . . While depressing the trigger

But the. . . . Wind . . You still have to be able to call wind. Any monkey . . Even this lawyer right here can figure holdover. I have a handy app on my phone that tells me what I need to know.

But learning to call wind . . Well that separates the wannabes from the . . . Well the true skilled shooters.

If you are off on the wind. . . Well . . Even with this technological masterpiece, you can miss.

Optically . . . I didn't have a Schmidt and bender or some other known quantity but I don't expect the ccd video screen to the the equal of top glass.

The price. . . $27,000.00.

It is tied to one ammo, but most of us are shooting one load in our rifles anyway.

The price. . . .did I say it is $27k. 27 large?

One question that wasn't and couldn't test at the range. How robust is the system in a field environment? Wet, mud, bumps, drops, vibrations and all the other general crap that it will be subjected to on a hunt?

How easy is it to calibrate? Do you even know that calibration has failed until you miss that trophy elk at 800 yards?

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice, what a hoot to get to shoot!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I did not get to shoot this but got to attend a infomercial type event they held last year it was very interesting.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
All things considered, I am sure it is a neat system, but after having had two long range courses, the one thing that I don't do well (and don't get much chance to practice) is properly reading the wind. I think the system is neat, but in an of itself in the current configuration, the benefits are not in line with the costs.

Being tied in to one round really is a problem. While many of us use a primary round, many of us use different loads depending on the animals we shoot. At 27 large as you note, you would think that a high tech wifi, jet fighter technology integrated guided sighting system (did I get all their buzz words?) would have the memory capability to be able to allow you to select between multiple loads you have made up for the rifle.

Cazz

US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had the opportunity to host a demo at my gun club. Interesting to shoot but takes the fun out of it for me. Once you get it locked on the system controls the trigger press when the lock syncs with the target. Civilian market is mainly for high-dollar hunt trips so hunters don't come home empty-handed. Not my cup of tea (or coffee or scotch.) Can certainly understand the military application...but then tanks, crew-served weapons, etc. have had similar systems for a long time.

D

djones

i shot a hog with one. yea, it's not a sporting weapon but i give it an A+ for "holy crap that was cool!!"

locate target with blue crosshairs. press button on trigger guard to 'lock' on. a spot is placed on the target and the range is determined, which floats to top of screen, 330 yards in this vid. you pull the trigger... but the gun doesn't fire. rather, the crosshairs turn red and you re-acquire the 'spot'. when the hairs are back on the target, the gun goes off. this one is the 338 lapua.
tp_zpsmlr9noeh.jpg

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Follow up shots look VERY difficult?? Cool factor is there though.BANG,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
BANG!!

Heck of a Curly Shuffle though!!! I like that!!:)