Torso heights of hogs for a given size

LSB Active Member
By the time a hog gets to say 100 pounds I'd love it if someone has taken any detailed tape measurements....top of spine down to bottom of gut.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That distance would be 15" which would be 1/2 of the hearth girth circumference taken directly behind the arm pit. That is a 3D measurement. If you are looking for a 2D measurement (simple height), I doubt any hunters have bothered with such a study, though there may be something in the livestock/swine literature. To what end would collecting such data serve a hunter?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A known distance would allow for estimation of animal size when one knows the measurement of a reticle's hash marks on a target... for a given distance/magnification.

LSB Active Member
That distance would be 15" which would be 1/2 of the hearth girth circumference taken directly behind the arm pit. That is a 3D measurement. If you are looking for a 2D measurement (simple height), I doubt any hunters have bothered with such a study, though there may be something in the livestock/swine literature. To what end would collecting such data serve a hunter?

I use MOA hash reticles and do on the fly range estimations for deer and figured I'd put the hog into play with that since we are lucky to get within 400 yards of them right now. Our drought is horrible another 4k acre forest fire just took off last week. Hogs lay in the river which sits on state forestry reserve property all day.....come out right b/f sunset and peek into the fields and we literally have a 20 minute window to shoot hogs right now since none of us own thermals.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Actually, no it would not be good for statiometric rangefinding. Not because the math doesn't work, but because there is no way for the hunter to know the weight of the hog at distance. This is the whole problem with using stadiometric rangefiding for distance estimation for a species, such as hogs, that are extremely plastic/variable in size. Is it a 100 lb hog at 200 yards or a 200 lb hog at 400 yards?

The whole concept of statiometric rangefinding means knowing at least one constant, in this case, it would be weight being used as an estimator for height, only the weight isn't going to be known.

Unfortunately, between height and length, height is going to be the worse of the two measurements to use for estimation as the distance is shorter and hence more difficult to measure mostly because of ground foliage such as grass and weeds which will obscure the height of the body at whatever particular point he is measuring it. Note that additional error will be introduced if not measuring the same area of the body for this purpose as different areas will have different profiles. The body height of the hog at the chest will differ from the the height taken near the hips and mid body where the hog hangs lowest will differ from the other two.

Even the military uses different size profiles for given populations around the world when using the height of humans as a stadiometric standard. An Afghani adult male has a different average height of an American adult male. Choosing the wrong profile will through off the calculation hence result in a wrong estimation of range.

Stadiometric calculations can be used with hogs, no doubt, but with the caveat of using is for very gross generalizations.

For 437's purpose and given that he IS hunting while it is still light, and given the distances that he is hunting, even an inexpensive rangefinder would serve him much better than trying stadiometric rangefinding on hogs that are extremely variable in size. They are quick to use and simple enough that even golfers can use them.

LSB Active Member
I had considered that too just grabbing a range finder, but obviously didn't have one the other night. I went through those same points in my head b/c the range was from piglets to a boar in what had to have been the better part of 300. Wild ass guesstimate wouldn't even have covered that range. Deer are completely different at least this far south in FL we don't have monster bucks. The torso on a modest doe vs a bowed up 8 pointer during the rut is maybe 16-18" total b/t the two.

Looks like I'm getting my golf mojo!

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's why I prefaced with a known distance... then, it's a usable concept. At unknown distances... no.