Toly's First Hog

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some of y'all will remember Toly, the young lad that was at the first LSB meet and greet at my place in 2013 with his father, Bob (a lifelong buddy of mine). While Toly has managed deer and squirrels, hogs have eluded him, until yesterday.

Bob and Toly had invited me to come down to their place in Palo Pinto County to hunt hogs. After arriving and getting settled in our respective stands, I exchanged a few texts with the boys, especially when I would hear shots (apparently, deer hunters). Finally there was a shot and a few minutes later, Bob replied to my query, "T anchored a sow." It wasn't even dark yet.

Later, I would learn, that Bob had left Toly in charge of spotting while Bob attempted to study the insides of his eyelids for a while. Bob was awakened by Toly telling him about all the hogs under the feeder, an apparent ongoing joke between them when one would fall asleep. Bob wasn't having any of it, but Toly was persistent. Sure enough, there was a small sounder under the feeder.

Toly got his rifle up and was instructed to wait for his shot that was to be behind the ear. Apparently, things were quite exciting and intense at the time for Toly who was hyperventilating a bit.

BOOM! The sow dropped in place, DRT, no tracking required. The other hogs scattered and did not return.

Toly was rewarded with a 70+ yard, head shot, 140 lb. sow. Bob and Toly got it butchered and on ice and were back in the stand about 3 hours later, but nothing else showed.

Here is Toly and his first hog...

TolysfirstHOG20141129_173738reduced.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow, way to start your hog killing Toly! Congrats, well done.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fine hog for a young man to cut his teeth on.

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great hunt. We need all the help we can get here in Palo Pinto County. Congrats to the young man.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Excellent job young man!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome hog! Good shot!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice job and good looking hog.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
congrats to Toly, big smile on his face of happiness, I like the looks of the land

Andre Lopes

Boar Hunter from Southern Brazil
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hello everybody!
After a long absence, I'm back!
And it was very nice to come back and be able to honor a young wild boar hunter!
Congratulations Mr. Toly, on your award, great shot!
Brian, my buddy! Attracting followers in the noble art of the headshot!
Ave Sus Venator!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Heck ya, way to go. Nice hog fo sure, thanks for puttin her up here!! BANG BANG!!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
where did he go?