Three Hogs Depredating Winter Wheat

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got started on this particular property a few weeks ago when my landowner warned me not to go onto some of his other properties because he had sprayed some sort of terrible chemical to fight army worms, but told me that he had not sprayed this place and he thought he had hogs there. He did.

He has since come back and sprayed this property, which comes into play. After I shot the hogs, I had a heck of a time crossing the field to get to the hogs, the ground being saturated with water and I would sink 2-4" with every step...except in seemingly odd places where I would cross 3-4' of solid ground. I finally turned on my light and figured out that the wheat wasn't growing in the solid ground quite as well in the soft ground and that the solid ground was in parallel tracks. Turns out, the parallel tracks are the back dually tires of his 25k lb tractor. Where the tractor had driven to deliver spray to the property, the ground was compacted and was decent walking. Everywhere else was just trudging.

The compressor unit on the property is really annoying if you are anywhere close to it. It is about like standing next to a poorly muffled, throttled up diesel truck engine. However, it covers any sounds I make, LOL.

Three hogs recovered. Two more got away. A brief search of the woods was unsuccessful.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Concise and sweet! Fine shooting, good job of dialing in those runners too. Nice... when you know you can fart all you want and only a scent trail is the giveaway (blame it on the dog... or H2S ). That compressor IS a noisy bugger!

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shooting. I’ve got water standing all over my place. Hopefully we can both dry out some.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yeah, that compressor is a noisy thing, but it seems like the perfect cover.
Nice shooting, excellent video!

Keep After 'Em!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, that compressor is a noisy thing, but it seems like the perfect cover.
Nice shooting, excellent video!

Keep After 'Em!

The first night I drove in after dark (moon lit) with my lights off, there were deer on one side of the pad and a hog on the other side of the pad that didn't even seem to know I was there. Maybe they were used to oil service vehicles driving in? Either way, the noise level sure helps, but then again, the hunt becomes entirely visual. There is no listening for hog squeals or grunts to alert you to their presence.