Thinning out the heard

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I have a feeling I know the answers I will get but I'm going to ask it anyway.

I have quite a collection going right now and I'm thinking about selling most of it off. I think I'm going to knock it all down to 4 weapons. Ill keep either my 1911 or my p220 so I have a .45 handgun. Ill keep my 12 gauge super mag for a shotgun. For a rifle I'm not sure. Most likely ill keep my 338 win mag. Then on to my AR.

So here is the question. If you could only keep 1 AR, what caliber would you pick?

A little insight to use.... It will probably only be used for hogs out to 100 yards. For all my other hunting I'm going to use the win mag. I'm in the process of starting the North American super slam. I have taken a few animals off the list but my goal is to take all 29 with 1 rifle. The win mag will be perfect for that because I can load TTSX rounds from 165gr to 225gr. That will take everything on the list I'm pretty sure.

I have AR's in 9 different calibers. I'm not against selling them all and building the perfect hog gun.

So lets here it. Is the 6.8 the best choice or is there a better one?

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok so I'm sure someone will as so here's the list...

Pistols:

Sig P220 .45
Sig 1911. .45
XD .40 4"
Uberti 4.75" .45 colt
CZ70 .32 auto
M&P 4" 9mm

Shotgun:

Remington 870 super mag camo

Rifles:

Winchester 94 30-30
Browning BAR 30-06
Encore pro hunter .50 muzzle loader
Nagant m-91 7.62x54r
Remington 798 458 Win mag
Winchester 70 338 win mag
Ruger 10/22 .22lr

AR's:

458 socom
358 mgp
338 spectre
6mm brx
.308 Winchester
.358 Winchester
6.8 spc
.22lr
30HRT

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'd definitely keep the 6.8 and the .22lr (either one, probably the AR)

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I might keep a .22 just for the heck of it since they are both cheap rifles

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
.308 and use the same dies and shoot 168 or 225 TTSX bullets.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
.308 because of what Zen said, 2nd choice 6mm BRX. , third would be the 6.8spc . 6.8 is third because it should be easier to sell. 6mm is second because of bullet selection's available and inherently more accurate than 6.8 (so some would say).
You have a .338 win AR? If I read that correctly and you used it for the super slam; would that not be a first?

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a 338 win mag model 70 bolt action I'm going to use for the super slam. I also have a 358 Winchester ar-10

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
.338 Spectre (as I recall) is based off the 6.8 SPC casing, and is an AR15 platform weapon, it's shining point is sub-sonic/suppressed thumpage... kinda what the .300WTF wishes it were. I think it can also be done off the 10mm casings, if my rememberer is functioning this morning.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I load all my 338 spectre rounds from 10mm casings. I have like 1000. It's an amazing round for a suppressed rifle. I can also load it fast enough to make almost all 338 bullets from 165 to 225 expand. I have gotten the 200 TTSX to expand at close range. It's so much fun to shoot

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Here is something to "chew on".And.......it isn't from me. "Every chambering needed to effectively kill any animal on the face of the earth came about BEFORE 1950."

Does this help ?????????? --- pruhdlr

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The only downside to all the older cartridges is the lack of ability inan AR-15. 223 is basically worthless to me as a hunting rifle when I have so many better options and an ar-10 is too heavy to lug around. I think I'll have to stick with the 6.8. And it's close, but my 338 win mag came out in 1958. That should take any game on this continent. I think I would be best with those two