Thinking about buying a new gun

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ok, at that price you have a lot of options, including some of the upper end Savages and low end semi-customs. I was going to tell you you could get a Jerrett for 1500, but I checked, Kenny has bumped his prices a scosh or twelve. The Beanfield used to start at 1499 and go up past 3k. Now its starting at 5k so never mind there.
Anyway, there is a lot of good quality rifles out there in that range. Call me a Remington hater, its not far from the truth.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LMAO! I own 4 pre-1975 Remingtons that are awesome guns, I have owned and sold 9 1990-2011 Remingtons that at best shot 1" groups with tailored handloads. 3 of those guns never shot a group, they shot a 5-8" pattern. One was an ADL in 223, the stock was missing the little fingers that tension the barrel. Bought a new stock from Rem, and it shot worse. Pulled the stock, and started looking, the barrel was warpped from the factory. They sent me a bill for $400 after shipping the gun back to them to replace the barrel, I told them to keep the thing. Less than 50 rounds through it and they would not warrantee anything. And I am not the only one to have accuracy issues with them, though most get better warrantee service.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Remingtons are awesome rifles. Savage (excepting the model 99) have always been considered a POS. Howa is the way to go now. nanner, nanner, nanner.
Ill see your Howa and raise you a Sako! :p

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My 2 old Remington's shoot great. They were my grandpas so I don't know how old they are but probably 70-80's. One is a 222 BDL and the other an 06 ADL. I bought a 700 VTR last year in 22-250. It shoots good but not like a 22-250 should. I partially blame how the gun is set up. I've always been a pretty big fan on savages and have never own one so I think it's time. Just gotta look into it. I can get one in 260 Remington but I'm not sure what caliber. Can't go wrong with 308 though.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My Remington a 1993 700 .308 fluted heavy barrel shoots clover leaf groups from the factory. Maybe a fluke.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My Remington a 1993 700 .308 fluted heavy barrel shoots clover leaf groups from the factory. Maybe a fluke.
Some do, some shoot 1", and some don't shoot at all. Its split up pretty evenly so its real hard to say what one will do when you first shoot it.

Colby, I don't like the 6.5 caliber much for hunting, its great for target shooting though. I tried a 264 mag for a while and it just was not all that lethal. Honestly, my 243 does a better job on deer and hogs. Also, most guides in Africa don't allow the 6.5 caliber for the same reason. That says something because those guys shoot anything!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Super long.....REALLY heavy,(nice long base,great rings,scope,you'll have a 12lb rifle) .....1:9 twist in 223Rem(BLAH !!),1:10 twist in 308Win(semi-ok)

They shoot like a MO-FO !! --- pruhdlr

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
After playing with a .308 all year long I don't think I will ever want/need another rifle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 3

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I have several AR's where all 3 rounds touch or are in the same hole. As for caliber, really depends on a lot of things. If your main criteria is accuracy, well a bunch of options, I'm just an AR guy, I only have a few bolt guns and never shoot them.

I like less recoil and with the bullet selection nowadays, less gun can get great performance, like the 6.8, lower recoil and good performance. But a ton of other options. The 6BRX I just built I have pushed a 95gr Berger at 3156 fps with little pressure signs....that's a smoking deer round, however its a wildcat, so brass has to be formed, etc.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I really like my 3 Remington 700s... but, my "newest" one is 25yrs old. Factory triggers have been tweaked by a GOOD 'smith (long dead/gone). Their new stuff kinda spooks me. I've seen what they call "sellable" in their renditions of a Marlin lever action. I'd pass on an unproven one.