Thinking about a Caliber Change

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
tight enough for hogs and him, he is not exactly the type that is the least bit scientific about it. I feel they are cheap but good enough for hog hunting but maybe not a target shooter...for $669 you are not getting an *** barrel or great parts, it is more a truck gun to be used in the field and not bragged about. Some people like PSA and some don't, everyone knows they are not top quality and they are proprietary to their PA10 platform, his has a moe non free float barreled upper w a fixed front sight.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank,
If your friend has one, I'd try shooting the .308 first. One thing to remember is if it's the same weight as your 6.8, it's going to kick a heck of a lot harder shooting a heavier bullet and burning more powder.

Not here to start a pissing contest. The Grendel will do anything the .308 will at distance. High BC bullets and less powder to burn.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
the grendel will not hold a candle to the 308, all it is is a 6.8 w a little more range and I already have that..168gr SST in the 308, impact is much greater. He put a break on his and the recoil is like a 6.8 he says but I know what you are saying.
Hornady 168gr SST
Muzzle 100 200 300 400 500
2840/2955 2635/2544 2439/2180 2252/1858 2079/1574 1902/1325

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Aero Precision has a few 308 billet lowers for like 125 with the Sniper logo on it. The blem is in the finish they say. That is very nice price and they do make nice things. They have all their lowers on sale now for Pappy Day!! BANG BANG!!

Plus I think they are having a sale on the billet upper and matched lower limited addition American Snipers.org logo. With some of the money going to the vets, which is nice too. A matched set from Aero would be a great start to a 308. I would be all over that if I were wanting a 308. Just an FYI!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Curly, # 1 is low cost, # 2 is for it to be able to share as much after market # 3 buy a complete lower and complete upper that will fit together.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank, what are you doing! You told me if I don't switch to a 6.8 I was not allowed to talk to you anymore. What's going on....needs some AR counseling.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well there is no better all around caliber in the AR 15 than the 6.8, just looking at the AR10 option.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank I bought that same magpul upper and a blem lower from there a couple weeks ago. Except mine came with feed issues. I emailed them about it and they emailed me a return shipping label for the upper. They said it would take about 3 weeks to fix once they get it, and they'll either send it back to me fixed or send me a new one. I like psa and have 100% faith that they'll make it right. Even if I have to wait an extra month, a 725$ ar10 out the door works just fine for me. Here's that email... Minus the pics.

""Hello, I just purchased this upper and this lower from PSA. I took a couple Pmags (LR/SR Gen M3), went to the range and shot about 25 rounds total with 3 different types of ammo.
Hornady 150 grain SST (#8093)
Hornady 165 grain BTSP Interlock (#8098)
Federal Fusion 180 grain bonded SP
I had the same issue with all three. If the first round would fire the next few would cycle fine (I used both 20 rd magazines and would only load and shoot 3-5 rounds in the magazine at a time). Half of the time, when I would load a fresh magazine, the bullet wouldn't fire when I pulled the trigger. I would release the charging handle and press very firmly on the forward assist and the bolt seemed to lock in place and the hammer dropped but the firing pin wouldn't touch the primer. I noticed the casings were getting scraped up on the sides and there was brass scrapings inside the receiver. This is what it looks like. What should I do??? ""

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The problem with these new ARs is there is/are many folks making them and at the present time there is no standard or book if you will to go by. The best thing to do is buy from a good vendor and start with quality parts. A good/great start is having an upper and a lower that match. Helped a friend build one here lately and some of the parts folks claimed that would fit did not fit and would not work. Believe it or not this is a relatively new idea, but it is coming along. What stuck out in what this guy did was firing pin issues, mag release, and if any one builds one stick with quality parts and stay with one manufacture and do not mix and match parts. Some lower parts from other companies are not working with certain uppers/lowers. Ar10 is a different animal than an AR15. BANG BANG!!

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is very true Curly.

Thanks Blake, I think I had heard that issue also on other configurations, seems sooner or later PSA does the right thing and get them fixed for you.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have two AR10 one in 12" and one in 16". They are for me just a different tool to do,the same job. Recoil on 308 is much heavier. They both are way fun to,shoot especially with cheap surplus ammo. Frank you have to keep,at least one 6.8.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah I would never got out of the 6.8 entirely, I have an 8" pistol and 2 16" rifles.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The buddy that got a PSA PA10 I think they call it is having to send his upper back, has a large burr just past the feed ramps and to me the ramps don't look right either