Thinking about a Caliber Change

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What do you think, the 308's are getting as light as my 6.8's and I am thinking of cashing out my 3, 6.8's and ammo and go w the 308? OK I might keep 1, 6.8 and get rid of the other 2...will not cost me anything.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is the 6.8 failing you?
Do you need the extended range capabilities of the heavier round?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
RD, No it has never failed and there is nothing it will not kill in FL..I just got excited for a brief time...lol

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So? We're good now? Do you still need slapped? Although, ADDING a .308 is just fine.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Almost...lol Yes I might do that but do need to sell a 6.8 if I do

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I still want to build my ar-10 but I have a 358 Winchester barrel to go in it. I do love the idea of a semiauto 308 though.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If the 6.8 is doing what you need, then the change to .308 is really more of a feel good measure than a pragmatic difference. So if it makes you feel good, then do it, but definitely keep a 6.8!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't know so many haters of the 6.8 like Craig Black at Modern Sporting Rifle, saying the 6.8 can't hold up to the 6.5 Grendel I just thought I would pass over them all and get a 308...at that point I can laugh at the caliber wars and just have the best!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
One of each sounds like a good plan

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I don't know so many haters of the 6.8 like Craig Black at Modern Sporting Rifle, saying the 6.8 can't hold up to the 6.5 Grendel I just thought I would pass over them all and get a 308...at that point I can laugh at the caliber wars and just have the best!
You'll still find someone to hate what ever you have.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

I read that I do not think he was saying it will not hold up he was saying both calibers are doing well without military adoption.

He is wrong about the military use I know several guys that were issued the 6.8 in Iraq and loved them one was my friends son he was issued the 5.56 on his first tour and the 6.8 on his second. He said the targets dropped with much more authority on his second tour.

The 6.5g and the 6.8spc are close enough that I really don't think a hog will know the difference. I personally choose the 6.8 I think it has the potential to over take a lot of calibers in popularity.

.308 is great also.

I think these people sink their money into a caliber and then want it to be the best. This results in having Internet pissing matches to justify their decisions. The 6.5, 6.8 and .308 are all effective hunting calibers.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
See Brian, I knew you would agree...lol
Really there is no other reason to switch than the 168gr SST and the 308 velocity, now that is real knock down power.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh, hogs are smart and can tell the difference for the 0.3 nanosecond difference in survival longevity.
You just like to "Ping" 'em to death.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
See Brian, I knew you would agree...lol
Really there is no other reason to switch than the 168gr SST and the 308 velocity, now that is real knock down power.

.308 knocks their D in the dirt that's fir sure. Debating the same issue myself.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Limited funds, fact is I have 3 6.8's I can give one up to get a 308.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
PSA has them for like $669, 7.5lbs, buddy got one and it shoots straight, that is about as cheap as you will do it.

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
Frank,

Your title says caliber change which lead me to believe that you were giving up one for the other.

If you get a PSA .308, give a review because I'm interested in that one too.
When you say that your buds shoot straight, you mean tight groups ?

Last edited: