They don't happen very often...

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
image.jpg

On a Sunday night late in April, nature and technology cooperate for an extremely rare flawless hunt.

I approach the marshy area where I have a small hanging feeder, hog tube and regular game camera set up.

Wind strong in my face, no moonlight, 60% humidity and the frogs so loud it sounds like my neighbor was mowing the lawn next door.

Scan with the Flir PS 24 to the far side of the marsh, about 85 yards away. Two deer on the far right, and a couple of raccoons dinking around at the shallows for frogs and corn shrapnel.

After only 10 minutes, a very hoggy blob appears coming through the thicket about 30 yards past the marsh.

Up with the Pulsar Recon 55R 5x NV monocular (highly recommended, and, of course, now discontinued) for confirmation. Mossberg 4x4 in .270 on the Triggerstick tripod.

Through the Photon XT 4.6, he stops near the coons to sniff the breeze...one last time.

He actually roars when the Nosler Partition 130 grain enters his heart and separates. Takes two steps and is gone. He tapes out at 210; tusks are worn down to mere nubs from the damage he's inflicted on my Hill Country over the years.

Wind in my face, stars above. The frogs are back in full swing. I'd like to think they're saying "thank you".

A day will certainly come when I'm no longer able to hunt. I hope that I will still be able remember this night.

Last edited:

fanninland

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nicely put, LP. Some of my best memories are those nights spent hunting alone, when it all comes together just right.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice one! Congrats, and well done.

D

djones

good hunt and story. your pig looks like he has some aardvark in him

D

djones

i think you may have stayed in the marsh too long

feet_zpssrxrkc1v.jpg

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hog down! I'm not as confused this time around. ; )

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Talk about some hoof-funk!! LOL

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lonepunman, you're the bestest hog killin story teller ever if there was one! I was right there with you, dreaming of frog legs.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great write up. Cograts

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome story, thanks!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree great story with your hunt keep them coming. Congrats on the Kill see a doctor about your feet rough man hoof might need to be reshoed. Ha ha