THERMAL TARGET IDENTIFICATION

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Since more and more people are getting out and hunting with thermal these days I made this short video to show what different things look like at night. Sometimes even with the best systems things other than hogs look like hogs and it is imperative that you watch your target until positive identification is made. I have hunted with many people using night vision and thermal over the past few years and it is amazing to me how fast some people want to just shoot and identify later. Please Please take your time. And if hunting with others at night communicate. If this helps people I will make a more in depth video over the next few weeks.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good, and you need to do an expanded version. Even more examples, coyote/dog, more cows and hog combos and put it here and even more importantly os Snipers Hide where there has been a ton of discussion on thermal vs NV=and the purpose of each.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That was good, yeah you need a much wider explanation for some people, they get so excited than common sense goes out the window. This is really important when your only viewer is mounted on a gun and you are scanning/looking w a loaded weapon!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a really good video. It's amazing how hard t can be to tell what your looking at when you first see something

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I like that it makes you realize how much you have to slow down and make sure of your target.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yup, good stuff right there.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Good video. The other thing people need to pay attention to is what is behind what you are shooting at. And also that all targets are identified, as we know that hogs will use cattle as cover.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good video. I say do an expanded one like Shooter said.

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video, I see where the confusion could arise with new hunters that don't know how animals move..
It's probably best to carry night vision to for a few hunts till you can identify with just thermal, so no accidents happen.
Especially with cattle prices now, 6 month old calf may look like a monster hog to some newbie but it's a 1200 dollar animal to the rancher..

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great video. It really is amazing how and where some animals do and do not give off heat. Most all of the little features and visual cues we use to identify an animal are not visible with thermal. Because of this, it does take a while to relearn what an animal looks like when using thermal.

Ident Marking

Rockwall, Texas
Vendor
Coyotes have gotten pretty easy for me to figure out at range. When they turn towards or away they almost disappear. Deer are the hardest at range because they look a lot like hogs until they pick their head up. Great video!

-hd

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Even with NV they get you sometimes. The past two weeks I've had two hogs come into the area of my pasture. When I get the NV on the rifle they are gone. This past weekend I walked down to where they disappeared after seeing eyes through the grass. Two fawns got up and ran off. I guess they were walking right at me feeding and I could not see the neck.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
MORE MORE