Thermal on a budget... looking for some experienced advice

LSB Active Member
I'm looking for a thermal sight for an upcoming Texas hog hunt in December, and I've been googling back and forth between a few in my range.
My top end is going to be around 25-2800. Right now the units I've looked at are from lowest to highest:

Pulsar Core RXQ30L
Armasight Predator 336 2-8x25 (60Hz)
FLIR ThermoSight Pro PTS233
Pulsar Apex XQ38
Pulsar Apex XQ50

I don't really have the option to handle any of these right now, so I'm doing as much research as I can.

The RXQ330L is the cheapest, and gets great reviews, but I'm a little concerned about longer range ID... however I do have a couple of Digital NV scopes with good IR illuminators for longer distance if necessary.

From what I could see online, the Predator is great but the image quality might be a little lacking compared to some of the others. Again, this is just from what I can tell through videos and images.

The FLIR looks like a good option too but I'm worried it won't arrive in time to get it mounted and sighted in and get familiar with it before the hunt. Also read some things that make me question FLIR's CS... which is relatively important.

I'd really like to see a side-by-side video between the FLIR and the Predator... these two seem to be the closest in comparison to each other, and relatively close in price. The new FLIR core looks impressive, but is it that much better than the TAU 2? I use thermal cameras for work on a regular basis, so I am familiar with the technology, as it relates to industrial maintenance, but I know there a some significant differences.

The Apex models look great, and I like the PinP feature. Are they really that much better than the others to justify the higher price? How does the XQ38 compare to the RXQ30L?

My total budget as it stands now is going to be around $3000, and I'd like to not have to use it all on the scope, as there are a few other pieces of gear that I need to pick up as well, including possibly a new rifle for the scope to ride on. That would point to one of the first three on the list, but if the Pulsars are that much better, then I may bite the bullet and just improvise on the gear for this year. Wouldn't be the first time...

I guess I could look at the ATN Thor as well, but I have an ATN X-Sight II, and although I like it, I'm not sure I feel confident that Thor would be reliable. There are a lot of horror stories circling around ATN's HD optics.

All this to say, I figured coming here, to the guys who use this stuff daily would be the best research tool I could have. Any help you guys may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated. I've had a few people "in the know" point me towards the Pulsars, but there are a lot of unknowns for me still.

With your price range if you are ok spending the 2800 heck man go for it and get the best image you can! That said I've had my RXQ30 for 4 months and I've been thrilled with it. Hot muggy swampy FL weather never even so much as a hiccup. Tomorrow morning is opening day bow season will be watching the morning critters come alive at 545 from 20 feet! It's actually helped me put the screws down on 2 really nice 8's from last year by figuring out we were walking right through their bedding area last season...moved the stand about 300 yards north in August and they found the food.....now the test is gettin a broadhead in 'em!

Anyway. RXQ30 hasn't kept me from killing more hogs than I can count at this point. My buddy has an IR Hunter Mark II and I can tell you that thing is SWEEEEEEET. If you can swing the bling go big!

Mel Glass

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Has anyone use both theRXQ30 and PTS233? How do they compare. Thinking of getting one or the other unless talked out of it. Is the next step above these two going to give me that much more range?

West D

LSB Member
Has anyone use both theRXQ30 and PTS233? How do they compare. Thinking of getting one or the other unless talked out of it. Is the next step above these two going to give me that much more range?
Ok ! I have a two XQApex 50 . this will be the best for the money . Trust me ! I have a hunting buddy with a XP 50 trail , I like the Apex better and it is half price . Get a Apex XQ 50 !!!!!!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have used the RXQ30 and the PTS233 at the same time and if I had a choice, I would spend the extra few hundred on the PTS233. The image is clearer and much easier to identify your target. They are both good thermals for the money, but I like the Flir better personally.

Mel Glass

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Got it in. Played around with it and think I will be very happy with it. Was able to find a flying squirrel going up and down a bush at 40-50 yards. Walked out to the road and was able to easily see a mail box at 350-400. Should take care of all my needs. Thanks again for the help.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok ! I have a two XQApex 50 . this will be the best for the money . Trust me ! I have a hunting buddy with a XP 50 trail , I like the Apex better and it is half price . Get a Apex XQ 50 !!!!!!
Apex is a upgrade over the pts233 or the rxq but if it looked better than a xp50 trail something was seriously wrong in the settings on that trail.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
dont mean to hijack the post but whats the difference between the trail xq50 and apex xq50?
Battery pack and recording capibilites.