Thermal deer hunting

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well I woke up early enough to go deer hunting this morning, and I even got my oldest daughter to come along!

I woke up a little later than I wanted to but we were able to hurry out the door and head to one of the deer blinds... Ah the luxury of living at the ranch...

We got to our deer blind around 06:45 after getting stuck in the mud and rocking the truck out. We made a mess of the road and I'll have to fix it later with the tractor but we had a good time and it was worth it.

It wasn't long after we got settled in the deer blind that we spotted a doe and a young buck coming out in one of the senderos. I have been making our buck "hit list" for the past month or so from all the game cam pictures and have most of them memorized. This guy was on the list.

When some doe blew at us from another direction he began to spook and when he threatened to run off I stopped waiting for a perfect broadside shot and I let a 110 SPH fly from my 6.8 and it hit him in the base of the neck, right where I was aiming. The buck dropped straight down and never got back up. Good thing to as there was no exit wound. I just realized I forgot to recover the bullet too.

My daughter and I continued looking at other deer and birds at one of the other feeders at that blind until she was ready to go. All and all it was a great morning even though I forgot the DVR, spotting scope, and some other stuff at the house. Plenty of good memories though.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Always a good day when you get to hunt with the kids!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
She is so cute, looks happy too...Great day Dad!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How fun! That is good food there.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Looks good buddy!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
congrats on the deer ... happy daughter!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow... great speed goat buck ! Congrats to the little feller !

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
See how high his prongs are...that's a 15" goat. Bigger than anything I ever shot. I have seen 15" to 17" pronghorns but they are not easy to kill.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks guys, she was definitely very happy. I can't wait for her to start shooting too!

Jeff

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice! Always happy to see the little ones out hunting. Your fortunate to live in a state allowing Thermal for big game. Warshintun State does not allow it even during the day. (+1 reason for a clip on) I often wonder how I lasted 13 years here but night time Yote hunting is pretty liberal and 45% of the state is public land...