The story starts here....

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Been seeing glimpses of this monster for a few years.
Only see him rarely and this is the first time he has showed himself on one of my game cameras.
I guess the acorns and pecans are running out.
He is quite a bit bigger than Eeyore who came in at 358 pounds.
This is from the new "Honey Hole" I have been working on for the last month or so.
Have a nice, plush, carpeted 4x8 sleeper blind on a 16' steel tower about 90 yards away that I just finished a few weeks ago....
Have feeders in 3 directions right now....yeah, I can see for hundreds of yards in ALL directions from the tower!
Gotta get that WiFi setup so you guys can watch...LOL!!!

Here's Dozer:
dozer.jpg

Hoping to at least catch the hunt on my DVR thru the N750 DigiSight...the story continues....new scale on standby!!

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now that truly sounds like gentleman hunting. Great set up.

That is one big guy. What time of night is he hitting the feeder ?

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
that is a big stinky boar, good luck on getting him!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a monster right there

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And, may your shot be true and net you a bang-flop ! That's one pile of bacon right there.

Last edited:

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wow, I bet you smell him before you see him!!

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Man, it was cold in the stand last night even when dressed for it and with a small propane catalitic heater running.
Dozer didn't show up but there was a 15 to 20 pig sounder grubbing up the neighbors creek bottom across the fence about 400 yards away and my fence line is about halfway between them and the stand.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Man I can't wait to see him hanging from a scale he's a monster!

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
ROUND 2: BUSTED!!!
OK, I've been watching the game camera and Dozer has been coming in earlier and earlier...
That feeder is set for 10PM and he started coming in between 2 and 4am and gradually getting earlier each night.
The earliest he had been so far was 10:15 the night before, just after the feeder went off.

Last night looked like a good night by looking at game camera, weather, moon, etc. so I went for it.

Got in the stand about an hour before sunset so I could get settled in and be ready.
Walked by the feeder in the middle of the field and noticed it's empty....darn...oh well, Dozer is hitting the other feeder in the edge of the brush on the other side of the stand - note to self: get some corn in the morning.
Started rigging everything up and testing....the battery in the DVR was dead - oh well, remove wires and harness from Kermit and set it aside.

Just before dark, while I was still messing with gear and the heater, all the while trying to make as little noise as possible, Dozer walks out in broad daylight, looks directly at me and disappears back into the brush....I didn't even have time to grab rifle so I just stayed still and quiet.
He looks even bigger in real life than on the game camera now that I have actually seen him!
I stayed until midnight but didn't see anything besides a one raccoon and bunch of cottontails but dang, it was nice, quiet and not too cold.

To be continued....

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You'd better hope his stomach overrides his sense of danger. LOL

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am just now checking back. He isn't dead yet? Vern??? Now I bet you make us wait until after Thanksgiving. Sheesh!

It is hard to live vicariously through others when they aren't being any more successful than you are yourself! ;)

I keep going out and just find new rooting, and lots of it. Get Dozer for the Gipper, Vern!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good luck killing him he is a monster hog

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've been on it guys!!
I went out three times since the last post and managed to see him one of the three but only for a split second.
He was running with a small sounder and judging by the sow he was tailgating, he had his mind on something other than food....LOL!

Been buried this last week getting ready for our 7th Annual Bastrop County Pink Santa Benefit Game that is today!

Plan on hitting the area at least three nights next week!

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Try some sow in heat scent? I never thought it would work but someone gave me a bottle for my b-day so I tried it. Only used it once but got three good sized boars over two hundred pounds that night. They all came in alone about 45 minutes to an hour apart from eachother. I poured the bottle over a fallen dead tree by a pond the wind was blowing into a creek bottom where they bed down and travel. The first two ran right to the dead tree. The third came up while I was moving the other two for a picture. It was obvious they could smell it.

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hey Lawman, what brand did you use?

And the plot thickens....this little group of piggies found the feeder....
4pigs.jpg

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vern,

Every time I click on this thread I expect a picture of a dead pig. Now you are showing pictures of more live ones. I'm confused....LOL! Get after them bud!

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
And it ended like this:
While I was picking up some feeder corn two weeks ago I was telling a nephew about the monster pig I was after.
Some locals overheard me talking and EVERYBODY started tracking, stalking and baiting.

I did get to see a picture of Dozer hanging from a front end loader.... the only problem was a neighbor up the creek got him!

I need to learn to keep my mouth shut until after they are hanging from MY scale...LOL!!!

It was good to see him gone, just wish it was me who did the deed.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ahhh that is a shame you did not get him, post the pic here if you can get it. what did he weigh?

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Lately I have found that talking about the hogs that you have seen or even killed is somewhat counter productive. Even on my own hunting club.

I will start hunting the rather large peanut and soy bean fields north of Pensacola right after deer season. During my help with the deer cull of last summer word got around about my "new fangled" thermal and the farmers have actually.......CALLED ME. Life is good.

NOW...to convince the wife of the "dire need" of a Bad Boy Buggy. --- pruhdlr

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, would love to learn more of Dozer's size... and the pic of him hanging from the bucket if you can get it.