The DARKSIDE 300 BLACKOUT.

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So the sst out performed the 110 barnes blacktip's in your experience?
No sir, can't say that at all. My only experience with the blacktips is with the factory loads and they won't shoot in my rifle. The pin hits, but they won't fire. It's just so many people here say the blackout won't kill hogs so i was sharing from my experiences with it, the little guy does a right nice job of it even on the runners if the shooter can get far enough out in front lol

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've already had one run 30 yards another run 15 yards after being hit. The judgment will come from what happens after a gut shot. More often than not a 6.8 wI'll still knock them over, we will see what the blackout does.
It doesn't seem as forgiving to shot placement as the 6.8 to me... its fun though to be hearing the thud and giving more lead until he flips lol

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's just so many people here say the blackout won't kill hogs so i was sharing from my experiences with it, the little guy does a right nice job of it even on the runners if the shooter can get far enough out in front lol

Most of that is all in fun since a good portion of the guys here met on the 6.8 forums.

Never be shy to post what works we are here to share info.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
For the guys that feel the need to push a bullet all the way thru . . . my buddy is getting 2166fps from his 16" RARR using the 130gr Barnes Hog Hammer "pulls".
We have yet to get the opportunity to put one of these on the shoulder of a large hog. Will report,when done. I can say now,these bullets are as accurate as the 110's. In our tests,they open exactly like the 110's also --- pruhdlr

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Jake, may I please ask . . . Where was the bullet placed on the larger hogs where the bullet was recovered ?? --- pruhdlr

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Jake, may I please ask . . . Where was the bullet placed on the larger hogs where the bullet was recovered ?? --- pruhdlr
Mostly neck and shoulder shots, 2 of them entered neck quartered away and lodged against skull. I remember the largest hog was quartered towards me. It entered his neck, went through lung and ended up in the opposite shoulder tissue after going through scapula. One TX heart shot broke pelvis and ended up against spine.

AKay

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lawman,

You mentioned that you were going to hunt will a 10.5 barrel on a 300 blackout. Any feedback yet? Bullet type....

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lawman,

You mentioned that you were going to hunt will a 10.5 barrel on a 300 blackout. Any feedback yet? Bullet type....
It will be a few weeks have to wait on atf paperwork.

Steve

LSB Member
Just curious guys why are we comparing apples to oranges? lol think most everyone knows the 6.8 is superior ballistically in every way. Just like saying the 6.5 Grendel is better than the 6.8. Ppl use 300blk for subsonic ammo with suppressors, it's a blast and more challenging than plunking hogs with a 6.8 or 6.5.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very impressive Jake! Below are some of my bullets that I've taken from hogs that I've shot over the winter. Their not as detailed as yours but none the less they tell you a lot about expansion at different ranges.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just curious guys why are we comparing apples to oranges? lol think most everyone knows the 6.8 is superior ballistically in every way. Just like saying the 6.5 Grendel is better than the 6.8. Ppl use 300blk for subsonic ammo with suppressors, it's a blast and more challenging than plunking hogs with a 6.8 or 6.5.
Ummm no the 6.8 outperforms the Grendel until after 300 yards and that's only if the Grendel has a 20"+ barrel.

And subsonic plunking of hogs unless required by some urban pest control contract is silly and unethical. I shoot subsonic from time to time but it's only to show how underpowered and not quiet it really is. My sole purpose is to show people not to use it for hunting.

Steve

LSB Member
Ummm no the 6.8 outperforms the Grendel until after 300 yards and that's only if the Grendel has a 20"+ barrel.

And subsonic plunking of hogs unless required by some urban pest control contract is silly and unethical. I shoot subsonic from time to time but it's only to show how underpowered and not quiet it really is. My sole purpose is to show people not to use it for hunting.

Not trying to debate you, but are you able to provide any proof of a 6.8 out performing the 6.5 Grendel ballistically within 300 yards comparing apples to apples between the two?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not trying to debate you, but are you able to provide any proof of a 6.8 out performing the 6.5 Grendel ballistically within 300 yards comparing apples to apples between the two?
Sure and Ill one up it ill get a 6.5 Grendel and shoot them side by side. Not saying the Grendel is bad its close but the 6.8 outperforms it in a shorter barrel. Every chart I have found online either shows a 16" 6.8 vs a 20" 6.5 G or shows a 6.8 with anemic factory ammo loaded to spec I specs. The spec I chamber was purposely botched by Remington. Ammo manufactures load to spec I just in case someone still has one, kinda like most 45/70 ammo is loaded for old trap doors. If you get ammo loded for 6.8spc II chambers it well outperforms the 6.5G

For example 6.5G 16" barrel shoots 120gr nosler ballistic tip at a muzzle velocity of 2450 while my 6.8 barrels in spec II shoot the 120sst at 2650fps avg mv.

iFlyLow

And subsonic plunking of hogs unless required by some urban pest control contract is silly and unethical.

Not that it "should" be done, but it definitely "can" be done.
I watched a video the other day of a guy dropping pretty decent pigs DRT with 22LR subs. Not 100yd shots, not moving, and obviously shot placement is key.
Surely a 300 super with the 125 SST's is exponentially better than that...