The DARKSIDE 300 BLACKOUT.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hit this 230lbs boar at 60 yards through the left shoulder and dropped him in his tracks using the Remington 220 grain sub. Pulled the slug out of the inside of the hide on the right side of his neck. View attachment 4773 View attachment 4774

That is what we refer to as luck! Those remington 220gr subs are about the same thing as walking up and poking it with a long 30 caliber stick. You may get lucky enough to hit something vital, but better be ready to run.

Flir-D-Lee

Join the pig Jihad
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is what we refer to as luck! Those remington 220gr subs are about the same thing as walking up and poking it with a long 30 caliber stick. You may get lucky enough to hit something vital, but better be ready to run.
True dat !! I have not had much luck with subs either. The 110 Barnes Black tip is the way to go.
I also have had pretty good luck with the Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos. Beck Ammo sells these real cheap. It makes a heck of a mess on a hog

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
No I wasn't suggesting I would choose the black out over an alternate caliber for shooting running hogs. I was just sharing my personal experience.

Before I discovered some of these web resources, I was trying to shoot them like you would shoot a deer, and I lost or had as many run as dropped with my black out when it was brand-new to mean when I first came out.

I probably had 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3 either Drop on the spot, run off and get recovered 50 to 75 yards later, or run off and never be seen again.

For me, the ones that always seem to drop in their tracks work quartering shots.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
And I agree, sub sonic is pointless for trying to recover hogs. Although I admit I have not tried nor do I intend to try any of the super Duper expanding sub sonic heavyweight bullets.

For sub sonic plinking, i use the 220 grain Sierra round nose because they are half the price of match king and perform exactly the same on any sort of game target at sub sonic speed. Punch through. May or may not tumble.

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cletus and I have killed a large number of hogs with the 300 WTF with really the only negative being the exaggerated leads required on the running shots. It's just not natural and not always easy to do lol We had settled in on handloaded SSTs as our fav bullet for it, but the ballistic tip worked quite well also

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Uh huh, all the .300wtf flack I've caught on LSB and now we are realizing it works. Those of you that have been watching my videos the last year and a half have mostly been seeing 110 Barnes Blacktips in action through a 16" CMMG barrel. I only switched to the 6.8 around 08/16 for cheaper ammo, longer shots, and like dubbs said, more instinctual lead on runners. If you look back at my vids you will see a boat load of runners anchored, many with marginal hits (guts, pelvis, low, chest and throat). They weren't always drt but were anchored. I also dropped 6 over 250lbs(three 280-285lbs) in their tracks with 1 shot to the neck or shoulder. I'm not saying the 6.8 isn't better cause it definitely is.... but the Blackout with 110 tac-tx is a deadly dude. I have a handful of recovered projectiles I'll post later. They open beautifully and uniform, cut all the way through, and were usually recovered under the skin on the opposite side.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Uh huh, all the .300wtf flack I've caught on LSB and now we are realizing it works. Those of you that have been watching my videos the last year and a half have mostly been seeing 110 Barnes Blacktips in action through a 16" CMMG barrel. I only switched to the 6.8 around 08/16 for cheaper ammo, longer shots, and like dubbs said, more instinctual lead on runners. If you look back at my vids you will see a boat load of runners anchored, many with marginal hits (guts, pelvis, low, chest and throat). They weren't always drt but were anchored. I also dropped 6 over 250lbs(three 280-285lbs) in their tracks with 1 shot to the neck or shoulder. I'm not saying the 6.8 isn't better cause it definitely is.... but the Blackout with 110 tac-tx is a deadly dude. I have a handful of recovered projectiles I'll post later. They open beautifully and uniform, cut all the way through, and were usually recovered under the skin on the opposite side.

Whatever puts them down!! :cool:

Crowebar

LSB Member
I'm not going to let one moron dictate what I use. Does it have the power of a 6.8 no but it does hit with authority out of a short barreled rifle I found the 6.8 lacking in that department. Not to mention it's very quiet and easy, cheap and fun to shoot.
Right On!!

Crowebar

LSB Member
And I agree, sub sonic is pointless for trying to recover hogs. Although I admit I have not tried nor do I intend to try any of the super Duper expanding sub sonic heavyweight bullets.

For sub sonic plinking, i use the 220 grain Sierra round nose because they are half the price of match king and perform exactly the same on any sort of game target at sub sonic speed. Punch through. May or may not tumble.

If you were shooting one hog at a time 0-90 yards and taking head shots the (any) subs are fine for that. But as everyone in this group knows , where is the fun in that? I have recovered countless sub kills with heart shots but it isn't easy all the time and there is work involved. Different than TLM in the pest control business, subs no good on runners.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So far I've had 100% complete pass through with lots of blood. Can't wait to see what the cavity back bullets will do.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cletus and I have killed a large number of hogs with the 300 WTF with really the only negative being the exaggerated leads required on the running shots. It's just not natural and not always easy to do lol We had settled in on handloaded SSTs as our fav bullet for it, but the ballistic tip worked quite well also
Yea I was hitting about where DJ hits on my first two running shots, but unlike DJ I corrected and hit on the third! :rolleyes:

These 110 tac bullets are going 2430 so only slightly slower than factory 120gr 6.8 sst.

So you load the 125gr sst for blackout? What powder and what velocity are you getting?

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LMAO!!! Poor DJ just likes seeing the dust clouds puff up! I actually started buying my loads from Chad at Custom Reloads of Dallas. His prices are great and my rifle loves them. He claims they are running 2230 in a 16" barrel, but i have never checked... they are def faster than any factory load i have shot though. They are the sst, but if i remember right the 30 cal pills are 125gr

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LMAO!!! Poor DJ just likes seeing the dust clouds puff up! I actually started buying my loads from Chad at Custom Reloads of Dallas. His prices are great and my rifle loves them. He claims they are running 2230 in a 16" barrel, but i have never checked... they are def faster than any factory load i have shot though. They are the sst, but if i remember right the 30 cal pills are 125gr
So the sst out performed the 110 barnes blacktip's in your experience?

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have recovered countless sub kills with heart shots but it isn't easy all the time and there is work involved.

Me too and that's exactly why I consider subs a no go. I have lost a few hogs to head shots and don't choose to take that shot anymore. I would prefer to see them knocked over when I shoot them in the vitals. The blackout is a little lacking in that department. But it does happen.

Ironically, I am currently trying to find accuracy in a new Remington model seven 300 blk I just got using the 220 round nose and fast pistol powders for a signicantly more quiet sub load than what is needed to cycle an AR.

Current testing is pointing toward me haveing to abandon using mixed brass which makes me sad.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I noticed recently that Hodgdon updated their load data for 300 blackout using little gun powder in particular. They are now showing little gun being used with 125 grain bullets at 2400 ft./s for Max loads. That should be for 16 inch barrel.

I will definitely be trying for 2400 ft./s from my new bolt action when I get to that point with the Speer TNT. And by the way, I think the TNT is a dynamite big game bullet when fired from the blackout and especially devastating when fired from my 30 Herrett at 2600 ft./s.

So I'm thinking, if cavity back develops a 125 grain black out specific bullet, that will probably be the best bullet available for that caliber. I haven't looked into their lineup to see what they're working on.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have only used lil gun in my blackout. 18.9g pushed 125 sierra otms at around 2350 if I remember correctly. 16" barrel

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I currently get about 2250 from my 16" bolt action using the same ammo I previously loaded for my AR using H-110. And with the black tip I get 2450 in the bolt action using ammo I previously loaded for my AR also using H-110. Mixed brass is accurate enough for my satisfaction in supersonic ammo too which makes me happy.

I think it's only 2100 from my 10" AR for the TNT and 2250 for the black tips in the 10" AR?

I have a pound of little gun, but never really tried it before.

Last edited:
D

djones

even a 22LR or pellet will kill hogs with perfect placement so the limited # TLM has shot standing still is no real test. Is the 300 the best choice? No ...Will it kill in a standing ear/neck shot? yes....is is a better choice than the 6.8? Hell NO
lawboy, are you going to put up with that? take away his banners!!!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The powders that are used by 90% of the 300BLK reloaders is AA2200,1680,Lil Gun,and H110/296. All of these powders are good however for me it is the last two.
The brass is strong. It is rated for 55K psi or so. The downfall,if you could call it that,is case capacity. This is generally why a flat base bullet is best. Seated to mag length for the AR guns the flat base leaves room for more powder. This is also why the use of solid copper bullets is limited. About 110grs,if flat base,is the longest that you can use.
I would absolutely love to see Nosler come out with a Partition of about 115grs. Or Hornady come out with a120gr round nose. To that point,I have tried some of the Hornady bullets designed for 30-30 lever gun. They shoot well but have never killed anything with them.
As far as the Barnes black tips go . . . the tip is quite easily pulled out to save some length for the magazine type guns. Would really like to see someone give these a try on hogs. Maybe TLM . . . ??
The little 300BLK is a fun chambering in a single shot gun also. No mag length to worry about. No gas issues when shooting sub. Can load most any bullet as long as you want for powder capacity.
Note : Do not drastically reduce the charge of H110. You could has overpressure issues as you would in a 44mag,454Casull,etc,etc. --- pruhdlr