Thanksgiving week pig stories

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
So far I am up to 7 hogs down the past 5 days and had some close calls with hogs getting a little more up close and personal than I usually prefer. I switched back to the 120 ssts and ditched the gold dots and success has returned.

The first picture is a 210 pounder I got. We have a couple of feeders that only throw corn at night for the hogs and the two feeders had been getting visitors every single night for weeks. I decide to start off at one of the locations we call "pork barrel". Wind was not in my favor one bit with a slight breeze blowing somewhat towards the feeder, but I decided I would just take a chance. I start walking up the hill and as i crest the hill the game camera is going crazy flashing like a strobe light and a big group of small porkers are chowing down. I creep closer and the hogs move away from the feeder towards the right. I thought they might have winded me but continued anyway. Turns out they were off in the brush rooting around which was perfect. The wind is no longer a problem and I can get real close. I get to the flat area at the bottom of the hill and wait for one to pop out into the road. I take a knee and immediately this big boy pops out 20 yards in front of me. I had no idea a big one was in this group. Almost out of reflexes I but one in his shoulder and he was done. I didnt bother with the other hogs as i wanted to make sure this guy did not pop back up and get some retribution for his bullet wound. I did a safety double tap on him and went back o the truck to haul him away.

EA9961EB-EA18-4420-811C-D4BC6D14DAC5_zpsu7lt11tm.jpg

29754C45-4044-43C1-B054-1F0D9967FDAF_zpsgfnxe5y3.jpg

The next night i went to the other night time hog feeder and sneak up on this guy. I had to hurry the first shot since he was being suspicious of me and miss. I shoot again while he is running and land a shot and he takes a barrel roll and drags him self into the brush. I followed suit for a bit and decided to just wait until the morning. I met up with my dad at the location and he helps follow the massive blood trail. We get about 150 yard away from the feeder and look to the left. I say "looks like he bedded down here". Immediately after saying that i heard a rustle in the brush really close. Oh crap! There he was 5 foot from me to the right. He is still alive and pissed! He pops up on all fours looks at me and i did a mag dump with my 45. After 8 more rounds in his chest and head he was finished. The shot I landed last night was a high gut shot after inspection.

18D44CBE-A680-4411-A298-7B15E9008513_zpsjtclyi8b.jpg

The next evening I was sitting at a nearby location waiting on some hogs that had visited it recently during the day. It was getting late and cold and i decide to stand up from my chair and stretch a little. I heard noise coming from my right and here comes 7 small pigs running in single file line 10 yards in front of me. Since I was stretching trying to get warm my gun was resting on a soto bush out of reach. I let them get further away and start sneaking up on them. I get a two for one on the first shot and drill another trying to flee.

After this I went just down the road to check another feeder. I get to the location and start looking around. A group of six small hogs are at this location too. I start my approach and before I could reach the feeder the walk into the road in front of me. I drill one of them and they disappear. I could hear them all around me nearby in the brush. I stand still and this one little idiot runs right back out into the road 20 yards away and attempts to make it back into the brush. He didnt make it. I got him. After this another runs right behind me and heads to the top of the hill. I fire but miss. No pictures of the little guys, but I can tell you they were good eating.

I got more pictures of a couple of 200lbs plus hogs moving around a couple of feeders. Hopefully I can add another to my count before i head back.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You're just havin' WAY too much fun there ! Was there some dancing (on YOUR part) happening while doin' the .45 mag dump ? LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow 5' is a little close for any hog let alone a wounded one, PUCKER POWER! Good job on some nice hogs, you had way too much fun! Thanks for the report and pics!

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You're just havin' WAY too much fun there ! Was there some dancing (on YOUR part) happening while doin' the .45 mag dump ? LOL
I was kinda doing the moon walk trying to get some distance. Had to triple check my pants to make sure everything was alright. Ive been charged before but this was more startling since i was not ready for it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I wish Dad had been filming that encounter!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like a great hunt! Hope you get a few if those 200+ pounders!

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I got a video of me and another guy shooting two rattlesnakes that were mating in the road. Ill try to get it uploaded, but I am out in the middle of nowhere with spotting cell service. It took a few shots to finally get them. It was pretty comical.