Texas Company Trains Veterans to Shoot Hogs from Helicopters

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Returning Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans often complain that their specific skill sets, like shooting people and breaking things, are not exactly what is needed in today’s business world. But one Texas non profit is proving them wrong, 1200 WOAI’s Stephanie Narvaez reports.
Jamie Gregg is a co fonder of Operation Dust-off, which trains wounded warriors to exterminate feral hogs from helicopters.

She says the veterans have the specific skill sets needed for this type of job, and she says it is helping the veterans integrate into civilian life.

“They basically have told me that they feel like a warrior again, that they feel needed,” Gregg told 1200 WOAI news. “Like they are on a mission again, and they couldn’t stop talking about how much this helps them with their post traumatic stress.”

The 2011 so called ‘pork chopper’ bill passed by the Legislature authorizes the aerial hunting of feral hogs, which are a huge menace to farmers and ranchers. Experts say shooting the hogs from helicopters is the best way to eradicate herds.

And Gregg says nobody knows how to do that better than a recently returned combat veteran.

“I have guys call me every day, and ask, when is the next class,” she said. “They tell me, ‘I can’t wait to get started,’ and then they add ‘I have no shortage of experience’.”

Re integrating into civilian life is particularly difficult for returning veterans who have been part of the ‘life on the edge’ of combat in Afghanistan and Iraq. Many who were not wounded in combat say the can’t replicate the camaraderie and the sense of purpose which they experienced in the combat zone.

Read more: http://www.woai.com/articles/woai-l...ains-veterans-to-shoot-12494503#ixzz35aLKpKxN

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
cool, cool, cool

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This is awesome. I had this idea about a year ago, but just didn't know where to get started. I'm happy someone is making happen. Way to go!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I guess they will not take an old Vietnam Vet???

sneedb82

LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is pretty cool. We are working with Veteran Xtreme Adventures to help wounded combat veterans go on "Xtreme" hunting adventures... finishing a rifle for them currently for them to use on rifle hunts.

Any time a non-profit is truly seeking to help those that have helped fight abroad for causes deep to the core of fighting for freedom (for ourselves, or for others) has a soft spot in my heart, and my wallet. Maybe they'll come south a bit and we can get them on video killing some pigs.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do the same here, have built a 6.8 rifle and pistol and another set in 556 for individual Wounded Warriors here in my local area. Support Fisher House here also, we never got any help coming back from Vietnam and I will be damned if these guys will be treated that way!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What a great idea!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a great thing. Anything they can do to help is awesome