TBR Predator #9 of 2015

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

So last night rgilbert and I were talking on the phone about our respective hunting endeavors, thermal conditions, passing the time, when we decided we needed to get back to actually hunting. About 2 minutes after hanging up, I was watching deer coming out of the far tree line when a coyote just happened to walk across my rifle scope FOV and continue on toward another group of deer browsing just south of me. "You've got to be kidding me!" screamed in my head, strangely with rgilbert's particularly unique voice. I changed windows as I hurriedly tried to get the video recorder up and running.

The coyote had continued on the same track and feeling silly about the notion of barking at the coyote to get it to stop, I opted to simply whistle, which worked just as well. It went down and the deer scattered.

As you can see, the thermal conditions were pretty horrible. It has rained (again) earlier that evening and more was on the way. It sprinkled on and off during the hunt. The ground, plants, and sky were all about the same temperature, resulting in gray-out conditions. Animals stand out nicely, but there is no real background to be seen and they appear to just be sort of walking through gray space.

I am really there for the hogs, honest, but my usual hog honey hole of TBR is turning out to be a place of hunting predators for 2015.

Last edited:

Lancer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to go Brian, you are thinning them out nicely!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dead yote, that is all that really matters...nice shot

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Good shooting. With all that water, should bring a row boat. I was looking at the weather report on the news, more expected. Gone from a drought to crazy flooding.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hey I was not mentioned in the credits. LOL

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Still great resolution there. Could see his teeth as his mouth opened on impact. With all these 'yotes going down, I'm suspecting something else going on 'round here.

Exactly what I thought... Brian's alter ego... no wonder his hunting buddy is a bird too.

Looney_tunes_road_runner-0005.jpg

Last edited:

Flir-D-Lee

Join the pig Jihad
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What is this rain you speak of. We just planted soybeans and iron clay peas..
Need some of y'all's weather over here. Anyway, good shootin'!!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice shot Brian

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The thing about killing them this time of year is they are having babies so when the adult is dead so are the pups. That is either a good thing or bad if you wanted more targets later on...may not be the same where you are?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is what I said, or at least meant...good for animals bad for predator hunters