Target Rich Environment

Jake

Bandera, Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I headed out Wednesday night solo again. The plan was to sit at my feeder/pig pipe and see if the sounder that has been eluding me would show. I had been seeing them almost every night on the trail cam but they seemed to have me figured out and know when I was there. I am pretty sure it is the same group we shot into when I killed the boar in the "Big Ugly" video a couple months back. Finally our schedules aligned and I could hear the gravel in the pig pipe rolling as I walked in. The wind was right and I stalked up to within 86 yards of the feeder before letting loose. The problem with a long stalk is you have a LONG time to think about it and let hog fever set in. As you'll see I was a little too amped up to start and had some shooting woes but I finally settled down and the pigs made it easy on me. I have recently adjusted my Geissele DMR a little to light for runners and put a few shots in the dirt. I like to take up the first stage in between shots. The 2nd stage is just too dang light for running shots although perfect for 1st shots. At least that's my excuse, feel free to poke some fun, I deserve it after some of that shooting. I don't have my Omega yet but you would think I was suppressed by the way the hogs acted. Like I said, they made it pretty easy. I'm pretty impressed with my handload trajectory in my Blackout. I haven't made time to shoot them over 100yds and know my drop. I held high and hit high at many of those shots that were around 160 yards. I flirted with shooting the feeder but I wasn't too worried since it's mine and a cheapo plastic one, easy to repair.

It is unbelievable to me that I can have a shootout like that, walk all over the area, leave a sweaty shirt and tripod and still have a bunch more hogs show up within the hour. These hogs have been sooo sensitive and typically won't come in the 1st night after I bait and walk around. I walked 300yds to get the truck and come back to pick up the hogs for photos and backstraps. While re-loading my magazines I hear hooves and a few grunts in the woods adjacent to the field. I walked over the small hill to investigate and there were hogs everywhere again..... eating at the feeder, rolling the pipe, and one I later realized was eating one of the tiny piglets I shot earlier. It took everything I had in me to pass up the smaller pigs and wait for the adults. I ended up spooking the pigs on my way to set up for a shot on the larger hogs. In summary it was the best hog hunt of my life and a new personal record. Pretty cool to hit Sus Venator the hard way too. Way too much fun!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Damn dude that looks like fun.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's so much fun right there, a feller'd wanna strip his clothes off while experiencing it all. Congrats on that group !! Yer gonna have all the hogs in Bandera killed dead before Frank can even GET there !!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
HOLY COW!!! And a GOOD ON YA for that! You do have a mess of pork running around there fo sure. DANG man!!! That was way cool, part of a CS and I do believe you got a twofer on the little ones out there a ways! Much fun watching right there! Way to go on that banner deal also!!:)

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good for u man. Awesome work!

rrv333

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
One magical night, good for you and great shooting!

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow! I've seen shooting galleries with less targets to chose from...... and fewer sizes too!

Great fun!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hahah awesome! Whole string of hogs.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Out friggin' standing! That was a career night!

Hogs can be incredibly stupid at times. I shot 3 in about 10 minutes a few years ago. They just couldn't resist coming out to the corn pile. I'd shoot one and they'd scatter. Wait 45 seconds and here they'd come again. I think that sometimes their hunger overrides their brains.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Outstanding job on the Hogs and piggies too! That has to be a personal best for you. Congrats man.
Looks like you were able to get all the Darwin award winning hogs in one pile... the rest will be waiting for your return to the feeder.
Again,, CONGRATS!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Jake, that was too cool, a great time and a fun night, just does not get better than that and you got it on video too..Congrats my Man!

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hell yes! That will leave you pumped up for days! Great haul!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Jake that was amazing. Talk about shooting pop ups. Way more fun with live hogs. Oh yes welcome to the club the hard way!

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thank you for the positive feedback everyone! Definitely a night I'll remember for a long time. I was pretty sore yesterday Oso and yes I'll be pumped up for weeks Lancer! RD there's plenty for Frank but he best hurry. I can't believe how many hogs this property is producing. It's a large ranch surrounded by other large ranches where apparently they aren't pressured much. I've heard a couple neighbors have deer feeders running year round. Frank you must be right about about the koolaid getting on the hogs and leading others back to the source. More and more keep showing up every week since I switched from jello to koolaid.