Talk me out of a REAP-IR?

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey guys, finally got the houses sold and my "accountant" sez come Monday I've got $10k to blow on something we wouldn't normally do. I've pretty much settled on a combination of the REAP and an XD19a. But those aggravating "common sense" type thoughts keep nagging at me in the back of my head saying I'd be just fine with a XD50s* on the newly acquired 300BLK upper for a dedicated rig. At that I'd have plenty left over for other toys like cellular trail cams and the usual "more firearms, more ammo".
That said, under "normal circumstances" I could prolly scrape up 3 or 4 grand for a backup unit. Gathering $7500 all at once without something blowing up around the house to claim it might be a good bit trickier.
Not sure if I'm lookin for constructive opinions or bad influences.
What say y'all? Thanks!! :cool:

* Hats off to wigwamitus for that suggestion a while back. Yes, they're butt-ugly, but so is that Primary Arms BLK upper. And the bang-for-buck ratio seems to be good with an XD50s.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Buy the ReapIR and never look back! I working on buying my second ReapIR the first ones just been nothing but awesome.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
First thing you need to do is get a 6.8...lol

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
First thing you need to do is get a 6.8...lol
Yer late, bubba!! Got one for Momma a while back. She's diggin it and lookin forward to some woods time with it soon as she gets over her back surgery comin up first of Oct.
I like my BLK's. Already have plenty of stuff to twist up what I need to fling from it.
But there's prolly gonna be a 6.8 showin up in my l'il stable as well before too long. :D d:^) Jake..

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Only reason I could think of is video out quality. If you don't care about that then they are great units. Really can't go wrong with the REAP IR or the Zeus both are top notch.

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Only reason I could think of is video out quality. If you don't care about that then they are great units. Really can't go wrong with the REAP IR or the Zeus both are top notch.
So I'm thinkin most of you cats are gonna fall into the "bad influence" side of the discussion?:D

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If I was to upgrade and get a 2nd thermal scope right now it would probably be a Reap-IR. However I am not gonna upgrade because I am very satisfied with the xd50a. Most important to me is the ability to identify and engage animals at night and the Apex is all you need. I'm thinking the advantages of the ReapIR for me would be to ID at longer range and get a sick pretty picture/video although it seems the video out is lacking. Everyone that looks through my xd50a asks why someone would want anything pricier. Of course, they haven't looked through an IR Defense or Zeus. I guess it depends on how bad you want the cellular cams and such.

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Jake- Thanks for the input. How far out are you comfortable with ID and targeting with your XD?
Our pigs at the club are very nomadic and never seem to stay in any particular area for very long. Seemed like the cell cams could be key. But there's a whole pile of other stuff that'd be nice as well. It never ends. :cool:

Ratdog68- Yes, you are a bad influence. :D

Another thing makin me a skosh nervous bout goin all out with the REAP is all the jockeying and shuffling with the thermal companies now. Less competition is rarely a good thing for the consumer. If ATN would ever get their chit together and build solid basic products (ala Pulsar) instead of the "Swiss Army Thermals" with all the goofy bells & whistles it'd prolly be a good thing. All I can think of when I see ATN now is those old Ronco commercials from the 70's and 80's. It slices, it dices! It can even cut Julianne style!! Meh.. Make affordable units that perform the basic functions well, up the QA, run with the internal video recording as the hook and ditch the greasy kids stuff. Voila!!
I don't know what kindof changes are coming to IRD with Trijicon at the helm. I know they have quality products and aren't the least bit bashful about being "mighty proud" of'em. There's also some anecdotal accounts of a lack of support for older IRD products. There's also tales of above & beyond service. It gets a bit confusing.
I know I don't wanna end up with a $7500 dead-end product line that was the "last gasp" of the previous endeavor that's no longer being supported in lieu of the "new stuff". I can't just throw more of other people's money at it like Uncle Sugar if I make a wrong decision. :p
And yeah, I know "pleading poverty" is a tough sell when some sorry slob is tryin to decide between a $7500 & a $3500 toy. Just tryin to do my "due diligence" prior to and ramblin' on a bit. Ya know? :cool: d:^) Jake..

PS- Somebody just e-slap me if it gets too tedious. At least I shut up over the summer while waitin on the houses to sell. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep I think the cellular cams are a huge advantage. It of course depends on ambient conditions but I'd say I can ID static animals at around 400 yards. Recently I watched 3 deer from a high spot for about a minute before one raised it's head and I confirmed they weren't hogs. Just checked Google Earth and it was 700 yards. That is probably close to the limit. As far as shooting goes I did make a luck shot on a pig at 324 yards lasered, you can see it in my Summer Compilation video. I wouldn't be afraid to engage a hog farther if I positively identified it and knew the distance and drop of my bullet. I'm guessing 300 would be the max for a confident hit on vitals with a solid rest.

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Got a link to those videos? Sure would be interested in checkin'em out. If I could cover 250-300ish that'd prolly do me for the club and surrounding areas. Shooting I ain't too worried about, but I can't hit what I can't see. I wanna aim at a place on the target, not just at the target. There's plenty of longer distances to scan there, but I don't know that I'm too worried about trying that at night on stand or stalk.
And thanks much for the information! :cool: d:^) Jake..

Last edited:

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
All of the S we have right now is probably be largely outclassed in 3-5 years? 5 years from now my Zeus 640 75 will still be the same killing machine it is now. The Reap will be even more so. A package that small that can out scan most out there and then function as a really good scope? I said to hell with it and have a Reap-IR on order. Life's too short you know you want it buy it. It kicks ass.

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Jake- I was watchin it while you were posting. Found it on the LSB Hunting Videos page. I didn't even know that was there. Whot a slackard! :rolleyes: Great videos, bubba-la-hoo!

Taco- And that's the bugger in the works. I dunno if I'll get this opportunity again to be so "foolish" with that much money. I could prolly squeeze out 3 or 4 grand if I had to in the summer when the boats start rollin thru my AO. Most of the vehicles I've driven over the course of my life didn't cost half as much as a REAP! :eek:

Mr Jake's makin a good case for the XD50. Sounds like it'd do the job. But yer right, that REAP is pretty danged schweet. This is tough on an old man's noodle. :cool: d:^) Jake..

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm definitely not tryin to talk you out of the ReapIR, just making sure you know the capabilities of the Apex.

Man the thought of a shiny new 6.8 topped with an xd50, 5 cases of SSTs, and a quiver of cellular trail cams. A man could do some damage Schneeky!

Ok now it sounds like I'm talking you out of it but I'm not. I'm thinking you can't go wrong either way.

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm definitely not tryin to talk you out of the ReapIR, just making sure you know the capabilities of the Apex.
Man the thought of a shiny new 6.8 topped with an xd50, 5 cases of SSTs, and a quiver of cellular trail cams. A man could do some damage Schneeky!
Ok now it sounds like I'm talking you out of it but I'm not. I'm thinking you can't go wrong either way.
It's all good, bruthaman.:)
I wanna hear other opinions. And the scenario you described above is one that has crossed my mind several times during an attack of "commonsenseitus". Which I know should be avoided at all costs in such situations but there it is. I'm pretty sure my "man card" is gonna take a beating from faltering when full permission and cash are there in one place to "go for the gold".
It comes down to a choice between 2 toys (REAP & XD19a), or a pile of toys something to the effect of Pulsar XD50s & XD19a with $4500 worth of other goodies.
The lack of a reasonable QD option for the Pulsar is a real PITA. I know Tyler has one but I don't want my rifle to end up as tall as it is long. That said with the savings I could just buy a dedicated rig. Now I'm carrying 2 guns up to the hunt club yadda, yadda, mumble grumble...
Yes, I am overthinking it. It's what I do when I'm obsessing and I'm s'posed to make a decision today. :eek: d:^) Jake..

ATLSteve

I went through the same concerns that you Re. Tried an ATN Thor Hd and was not happy with it (I also have one of their rev 1 X sights, been happy with that for the last year) .

What I wanted was compact, light weight, strong company backing it, and best quality for the money spent product.
I bought the Reap-ir a few weeks ago, and have never second guessed my decision after the first use (though it was a lot of $). I see things out over 400 yards, seen bear coming, hogs, deer, and even field mice running..

Since it comes with that mount, I can take it off and scan with it, then when I have a target, it clips right on , dead nuts zero is perfect..

I for one found the perfect tool for my needs, and know it will be my long term go to scope..

Mcgilbery

LSB Member
I love my Reap IR. The only thing negative about it is that it doesn't focus until about 20 feet not a huge negative though. The video out doesn't even compare to looking through the scope when using a UNV recorder.

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yesterday I picked up a rental Reap IR and a Zeus 640 Pro for a 3 night hunt this weekend. Tonight will be the the first opportunity to use one in anger but the Reap IR blew me away with size and image. Now I know what all the fuss is about.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep the ReapIR size and weight for a thermal rifle sight is the bomb. Mounted on my lite-weight rifle it feels really lite-weight for a thermal/NV scoped night setup. Also I've tried to use several different thermal scope models as hand held but none of them felt natural in that role until I bought the ReapIR. It feels and operates very well as a monocular as it should since it was based of the IRPatrol from the start.