Stock Repair

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
There's a very thin gouge in this stock, hardly deep enough to feel it with your fingernail and 1" by 3/8" in size. The small one on the top could be filled the same as the larger one. It's dark walnut by the way...
Looking for ideas before I start tackling this blind...IMG_0709.JPG

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
I'm already enough of a character :p

D

djones

normally i'd suggest you ignore any advice you get here from a guy named scrambler, but in this case, he's the resident expert on other guys' wood

Last edited by a moderator:

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
DJ - I'll take your innuendo on furniture repair as a compliment in this instance!

You will probably need to redo the entire stock if you want the area to match.

I'd sand down the damaged area down with 320 grit sandpaper. Take a warm wet washcloth and then use an iron and iron over the spot. It should raise the wood to somewhere close to stock. After doing this a time or two, take 400-600 grit sandpaper and level the entire area. Use the finish of your choice. You might be able to find a few YouTube videos on the subject.

It worked on my grandfather's desk a number of years ago.

Hope this helps!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have refinished a number of stocks and concur with Scram's advice unless you think the gun will someday have collector value. In that case leave it alone because refinishing the stock reduces its value more than the scratches.

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
Thanks, I pretty much came to the same conclusion...

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome advice scram!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another notion to consider, to add to the advice given already... as you sand it, collect the sanding dust and mix it with your gun stock oil as you hand rub the new finish, to fill the grain with matching color (if you're not able to get it all the way down with sanding).

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am leaving it alone till I intend to put it in the safe forever if it is a collector gun, otherwise it would wear its scars proudly.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wet a wash clothe. Put it over the damaged area. Place a hot iron on the washclothe. Don't let the stock get too hot, but steam it. Sometimes the damage will pop out a little. It works better on soft woods like pine, but it is free and easy. It might work.