Standing Bipod Effectively

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Because of a new location I am hunting I am needing to change some equipment.
First change needs to be the Tripod I am currently running. It's very stable but also slow to deploy and HEAVY to carry around.

I used Gen 1 Primos bi-pod. Got 2 years out of it before failing. Found a new version (minus the head unit) at Cabelas Cavern for $35.00 couldn't pass on the deal.

This one is much lighter and seems more steady.

Issue: I can't seem to find the right location or height to hold steady. Help a brother out. I've tried everything from right at Mag weld to end of hand guard.

Most consistent is on my knees with bipod 3/4 way down hand guard. But I will not be able to effectively swing for runners on my knees. Any help would be appreciated.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For ME I like the tall bi/tripod at the far end of the handguard standing. I use a 15 inch one too so the bi/tri is at the end of it. When you swing you have to take a step or two but I never notice it. I like the tri a lot better because of the swivel head. Primos is coming with a Gen III tri that the legs lock out and in my opinion that was a great improvement. You have to remember Zen I'm weird so this may not work for you.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I cannot stand a pod attached to my rifle...I get a solid aim using the strap for snap shots or a tripod like the trigger stick for more stability.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Personally dragging a set of sticks around or having an attached bipod weighing down my gun doesn't appeal to me to can't give any advice except shooting without too much gadgetry is much more enjoyable. But, I also enjoy chopping wood instead of using a log splitter. We all different.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now, I fully realize that since I've never killed a hog, I shouldn't have an opinion... however, I have enjoyed using these in the field.

Bipod Shooting Sticks

LSB Active Member
Just as another option I ordered one of these to go on my ~ 40 year old tripod. Tripod is amazing can rotate everything quickly and minutely, but have been using a thread in 'V' camera holder. Works well on the range for sure steady enough, but want to make sure I get it locked in to the rifle. I have an adjustable setting on the head that will allow me to adjust the pivot of the head for elevation.....make it just tight enough to hold it stable, but if you need to adjust just add a bit more pressure. I'm in a learning phase here to, but adding this:

Loc Jaw Tripod Mount | Aristotle Engineering

Also one of these if you don't want to mess with adding a Picatinny section:

Triclawps Adapter | Triclawps

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The problem with the Loc Jaw is that mounting requires unwieldy screwing and unscrewing of the unit and rifle from the pod or unwieldy using of allen wrenches. It may hold steady, but longer than you may need or want. It needs to quick detach, more like the Triclaw has 2 levers to QD.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have been using Primos Trigger Stick bipod(tall)for quite some time now. However my application for the product is not to swing on running hogs. I do move the sticks from side to side to follow slowly feeding sounders or a moving coyote.
We sometimes have to carry our equipment for some distance across peanut fields and I have found the tall series bipod to be much lighter than the tall tripod. That damn third leg always seems to get in the way also.
The Primos has served me well however the cradle wore out fairly quickly. Have wrapped the cradle with bicycle inner tube and that is lasting well.
One thing that has helped me is the installation of a Arisaka hand stop from Bravo Company. I position my AR's forearm on the bipod so that the hand stop is just in front of it. Then with my offhand I keep the bipods cradel pushed fwd against the handstop. Works great ! --- pruhdlr
20170222_055111.jpg

D

djones

Now, I fully realize that since I've never killed a hog...
WHAT!!???

Whip_zps2s7vdxjn.gif

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Personally dragging a set of sticks around or having an attached bipod weighing down my gun doesn't appeal to me to can't give any advice except shooting without too much gadgetry is much more enjoyable. But, I also enjoy chopping wood instead of using a log splitter. We all different.
The primos are very light. If I did not film I wouldn't carry them either bit it makes way better video with them.

LSB Active Member
The problem with the Loc Jaw is that mounting requires unwieldy screwing and unscrewing of the unit and rifle from the pod or unwieldy using of allen wrenches. It may hold steady, but longer than you may need or want. It needs to quick detach, more like the Triclaw has 2 levers to QD.

Are you sure you are talking about what's on this video or possibly a different product? Mounting it is a one time thing for me I won't be taking it off once it's on either the rifle of the tripod, but I'm not seeing anything 'unwieldy' or the like? At least I don't think I am. The Loc Jaw base will stay mounted to my tripod and the Loc Jaw rail section will stay mounted to my rifle. Just set it in, twist and go? No? My AR10 is a dedicated one trick pony night/thermal gun once the scope gets here. I have other setups if I'm out doing other stuff during the day so maybe that's where it's gets hassle-some taking the Loc Jaw on/off?

Last edited: