Standard Zeus mounted on SCAR17s (bad idea?)

sonicnofadz

Anyone running SCAR17s with the standard zeus models (i.e. not the pro-line)? Or is this just asking for trouble? I only ask, because the SCAR has a reputation for beating up optics. How about AR10's in general (308 ARs like M&P10, SR25, LR308, REPR, .etc etc)?

Bacon8tor

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've got my standard Zeus on an AR10. Probably 50 rounds through it so far. No problems.

I do shoot it with the SilencerCo omega with the brake end cap which is supposed to soften recoil a little.

firemedic2000

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm going to put a zeus 640 30hz 75mm on a SCAR 17 I'm not worried in the least bit about that weapon hurting the optic. They are rated for 308 and that means bolt guns also.

The SCAR 17 is actually a pretty smooth shooting 308 rifle with not a lot of recoil. I've shot AR10s that kicked harder than SCAR 17. As a matter of fact your the first person that I have ever seen post anything about a SCAR damaging optics or thinking thst it kicks.

Sure if you put some cheap Chinese junk on any 308 your taking a chance. Heck I've but seen 223/5.56 weapons break Chinese scopes any high quality optics your gtg. Never heard of it happening. I have let WW2 vets shoot the SCAR and they love it. They can't believe it's a 308 rifle because of the lack of recoil.

Besides if your not suppressing the weapon and you do not like the break that's on the SCAR you can alway put a different one on that would lessen the felt recoil even more I imagine. But remember breaks will make your weapon extremely loud, be sure to wear hearing protection. It can actually be painful at times if you forget.

As a side note I'd probably not run one on a full auto 308 for an extended period of time. Also on 308 ARs with DI gas system. Just put an adjustable gas block on weapon. Adjust it to where to just cycles the bolt and does not slam the buffer all the way back hard That will knock a lot of recoil off and make it a really smooth shooting rifle.

Last edited:

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Anyone running SCAR17s with the standard zeus models (i.e. not the pro-line)? Or is this just asking for trouble? I only ask, because the SCAR has a reputation for beating up optics. How about AR10's in general (308 ARs like M&P10, SR25, LR308, REPR, .etc etc)?
I've been running a SCAR17s for a while now. And IMO, which is worth exactly what it cost you, I'm thinkin that mebbe there's a bit of "reverse recoil" going on with the stock FN muzzle brake. Which is the reason some air guns s'posedly require "special" optics. I tried the factory brake w/o ears in like I was hunting once, just once. I won't be doing that again. Ditched that hummer for somethin else.
I've been switching between a Leupold Pig Plex 1.25-4/30mm and a REAP. No issues yet. But no high round count, either. I just hunt.
The SCAR is a pussycat to shoot. I twist up some mildish 125 loads to make it even that much more "controllable". Not that it's much worse with standard ~150's.
I also hear you'd go blind if messed with that muzzle device thingy, too. :rolleyes: d;^) Jake..

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Scars are known scope eaters. I wouldn't but that's me.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Definitely check with the manufacturer ... I remember Jason Crum from Ident Marking mentioning something about the vibrations or shock waves from the Scar would damage some thermal scopes. Not sure why but this is when I talked to him 3 years ago.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Scars are known scope eaters. I wouldn't but that's me.
Yep its not the felt recoil it is the bolt slap. Basically when the bold goes back foward almost like a air rifle recoil or reverse recoil.

firemedic2000

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok I've just spent te past few days reading up on this. It seems for the most part there is a lot of second hand info. I noticed in all the posts that I read that in 99% of the responses it was always I heard of a guy or had a friend that said his optic was damaged.

Now this whole scope damage thing was started in the military stemming from EOTECHS with the batteries that ran the same direction as the recievers. It apparently would cause them to sometimes lose contact and shut off. Also with the eclan scopes the military was using. They had to add a stronger pin to the elevation knob. Also remember that the SCARS in the military are select fire. They were probably running them at full auto also.

Now I did read a very very very few posts (3) dating back to 2012 where there were people stating that they THOUGHT scar damaged their scopes. Who knows for sure because they were used on other weapons to. I have had ARs that have damaged optics or were the optics just bad to begin with. Who knows.

Also I bet also that alot of their buddies optics were not the best quality there was to begin with. I'm guilty of that to. Trying to save a few bucks buying knock offs that were piece of junk. Did not tell my buds though they were fake. I might have been cheap but they did not have to know that. :D

I have a SCAR 17 and have shot around 500 rds through it with a optic on it with absolutely no problems. I've rapid fired it also. I have lasers and ir lights on it to. No problems with zero. As far as recoil alot softer than my 308 AR. I know we are talking about bolt impulse though. Even though I can't feel it I'm sure it's still there. As far as that damn break goes. If you want to keep your hearing. Wear protection.

That break give off a ton of concussion and noise. Painful noise. I've got a Griffin RSTA suppressor in jail for it right now. 7 months and waiting.

I am putting a Armasight Zeus 640 75mm standard on it also I just bought. My though on this is. The sight is brand new. It has a three-year warranty and 10 years on the flir. I'll shoot the heck out of it while under warranty. If it breaks it will be fixed.

If anyone knows why Armasight would not cover this let me know asap before I mount it. I send it back and buy another if one of you can tell me of a manufacturer that offers a warranty that they will stand behind their product if it breaks. This scope is rated for 308 and the SCAR is 308 I did not read any where in literature that said do not mount on SCAR 17.

So this is just my opinion and we all know about opinions. Once rumors get started on the internet they spread like wild fire. But I could not find not one piece of hard facts by the manufacturer saying the SCAR17 eats scopes like the cookie monster.

There have been thousands and thousands of these deployed across the world. If it were true I'm sure they'd be some kind of big write up about it someplace. Could SCARs be harder on optics. I don't know for sure. I'm more confused now than before I started reading about. I don't care anymore I gave up reading about the arguement of weather it did or didn't.

No one proved anything either way. But I'm leaning towards no because there was just really no factual evidence except that from the military and we all know how well soldier take care of their gear. This is coming from an ex Ranger lol

The only thing I saw was someone posted a list of scopes that theyyyy said FN recommended using with SCAR of coarse they were all high dollar scopes. I wonder who he worked for that was selling scopes on that forum.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Can you . . could you . . would you ?? I really do not know.
My only thought is (and it is not to poo-poo your choice of weapons and gear) . . I have really never felt the need to use one of my 308's for night hunting . For me it is a 5.56X45 loaded "kinda" hot,300BLK shooting hot supers,or my 6.8's shooting factory 120's and/or hand loaded Barnes 85's.
Those (for me) will take care of any size hog,at any distance,that I could shoot while night hunting. --- pruhdlr

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok I've just spent te past few days reading up on this. It seems for the most part there is a lot of second hand info. I noticed in all the posts that I read that in 99% of the responses it was always I heard of a guy or had a friend that said his optic was damaged.

Now this whole scope damage thing was started in the military stemming from EOTECHS with the batteries that ran the same direction as the recievers. It apparently would cause them to sometimes lose contact and shut off. Also with the eclan scopes the military was using. They had to add a stronger pin to the elevation knob. Also remember that the SCARS in the military are select fire. They were probably running them at full auto also.

Now I did read a very very very few posts (3) dating back to 2012 where there were people stating that they THOUGHT scar damaged their scopes. Who knows for sure because they were used on other weapons to. I have had ARs that have damaged optics or were the optics just bad to begin with. Who knows.

Also I bet also that alot of their buddies optics were not the best quality there was to begin with. I'm guilty of that to. Trying to save a few bucks buying knock offs that were piece of junk. Did not tell my buds though they were fake. I might have been cheap but they did not have to know that. :D

I have a SCAR 17 and have shot around 500 rds through it with a optic on it with absolutely no problems. I've rapid fired it also. I have lasers and ir lights on it to. No problems with zero. As far as recoil alot softer than my 308 AR. I know we are talking about bolt impulse though. Even though I can't feel it I'm sure it's still there. As far as that damn break goes. If you want to keep your hearing. Wear protection.

That break give off a ton of concussion and noise. Painful noise. I've got a Griffin RSTA suppressor in jail for it right now. 7 months and waiting.

I am putting a Armasight Zeus 640 75mm standard on it also I just bought. My though on this is. The sight is brand new. It has a three-year warranty and 10 years on the flir. I'll shoot the heck out of it while under warranty. If it breaks it will be fixed.

If anyone knows why Armasight would not cover this let me know asap before I mount it. I send it back and buy another if one of you can tell me of a manufacturer that offers a warranty that they will stand behind their product if it breaks. This scope is rated for 308 and the SCAR is 308 I did not read any where in literature that said do not mount on SCAR 17.

So this is just my opinion and we all know about opinions. Once rumors get started on the internet they spread like wild fire. But I could not find not one piece of hard facts by the manufacturer saying the SCAR17 eats scopes like the cookie monster.

There have been thousands and thousands of these deployed across the world. If it were true I'm sure they'd be some kind of big write up about it someplace. Could SCARs be harder on optics. I don't know for sure. I'm more confused now than before I started reading about. I don't care anymore I gave up reading about the arguement of weather it did or didn't.

No one proved anything either way. But I'm leaning towards no because there was just really no factual evidence except that from the military and we all know how well soldier take care of their gear. This is coming from an ex Ranger lol

The only thing I saw was someone posted a list of scopes that theyyyy said FN recommended using with SCAR of coarse they were all high dollar scopes. I wonder who he worked for that was selling scopes on that forum.
I searched as well that was from the FN forum of course they are saying that.

I think the Scar is awesome would I risk a $5000 + optic on it no. Will it destroy the scope maybe maybe not maybe it will kill it in 10 rounds maybe 1000 rounds my luck would be 1 day after warranty is out.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My only thought is (and it is not to poo-poo your choice of weapons and gear) . . I have really never felt the need to use one of my 308's for night hunting . For me it is a 5.56X45 loaded "kinda" hot,300BLK shooting hot supers,or my 6.8's shooting factory 120's and/or hand loaded Barnes 85's.
Those (for me) will take care of any size hog,at any distance,that I could shoot while night hunting. --- pruhdlr

Yea you shoot one hog and are done if I hunted like you a rimfire would suffice.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB

If you don't reload shooting cheap 308 150gr soft points is nice. I still shoot the 6.8 the most though.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
For those that REALLY know how to shoot . . . the mighty 300BLK chambered in a NEF Handi Rifle should do.
Mine is for sale for $925.00 (just because it is mine). --- pruhdlr

Attachments

• IMG_20130824_092430_353.jpg
    IMG_20130824_092430_353.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 8

AKay

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My SCAR17 started out with a acog TA55. I have used a atn ps22 nv clipon and have put hundreds of rounds though the scope with no problems. My ps22 developed some defects and ATN warrantied it and have had no problems since. The LWTS I now use has had no problems. After I began using a suppressor, I feel little muzzle blast and less felt recoil. Follow up shots are easier with the scope keeping on target through multiple shoots.

mdmorrow

Night Vision Outfitters
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It will probably be fine but I don't know if I would personally. They're supposedly a reverse recoil of some sort due to the bolt that's tough on a lot of scopes from what I understand.

The pro line armasight is rated to heavier recoil and I wouldn't have issue using it on a scar but a standard zeus I'd think twice I believe.

firemedic2000

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I look at like this. If you own a SCAR 17 just sell it. Because if you have a weapon your afraid to use becsuse you think it might destroy you optics. Get rid of it and get something you feel safer using. Don't stick in your safe. Because you'll never shoot it or really use it. Sell it and get you a different 308.

From what I read the SCAR is so bad it destroys optics that were even designed for the 50 cal bmg :eek: so even the pro model would not be a good idea. Come on guys don't you think there's some marketing from other manufacturers going on here.

All those post you read for every one that stated the scar destroyed optics there was one that stated it didn't. Again though 99% of the reports I read was 2nd hand. It was always I read or my buddy had a scope. Fine what kind of scope. Was it a 99.00 Chinese scope or what. I can't tell you how many times and most of you will agree.

That I've seen nice weapons at the range with pos scopes on them. I've seen 2-3k weapons with leupold clones or cheap 200.00 scopes on them and wonder why they break. Here's my favorite a 2-3k rifle with a 60.00 reddot on it. I'm guilty of doing that with reddots. Then I wonder why it broke or the batteries keep dying on me. Now if your a soldier your going to have equipment failure. That's life, we are hard on equipment and put it through hell in the field.

Darn I'm worried now though. The scar 17 is so bad that it destroys optics that are even rated for the 50bmg. :oops: That bolt in the 50bmg is a lot more massive that the bolt in the scar. When it slams home it must create tremendous forward momentum and harmonics. You guys ever shoot one or watch the video of a 50bmg. I have and loved it. It's pretty violent motion for a scope. :rolleyes:

Now I share your concern. There's a guy on arfcom that has a LWRC REPR 308 that he would trade for SCAR those are real nice weapons to. Very very accurate. Myself if I can't use it for what I bought it for because it's so bad that I'm afraid that it will destroy my optical scopes, I'm selling it. Now also as was mention earlier I also have a LWRC SIX8 that I can use pmags with. I'm putting a thermal on it to. So I can take my brother and friends hunting.

I just get aggravated alot of times when I google for info and most is second hand info. I can count on one hand how many actually hand scope failure in all those posts and as stated above it was a trijicons scope and most the post replies were from people that did not even own a SCAR or ever fire one. Even on the FN forum it was my buddy said he had or I heard.

Last edited:

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Here's some non second hand info.....my Zeus 75 640 eats rifles!!!!

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I contacted Armasight about my non-Pro Zeus and using it on a 6 pound AR10 in 308. They responded with the following on 12/28/16:

"Yes, the scope is capable of being run up to 300 win mag. 308 is fine all day long.
Andrew Amongol

Director of Customer Service, Outdoor and Tactical Systems

FLIR Systems, Inc."

AKay

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have never heard a performance complaint from someone who bought good optics. You get what you pay for.