Sow urine

jglass

LSB Member
Bought some sow urine as a hog attractor. Does it work and how is it used. Is sow urine considered bait?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use sow in heat urine when trapping. I'll spray some on the door jamb area of the trap. I used to hang a piece of cloth or string from the top of the trap and soak it. I feel like it helped in situations to lessen the caution of entering the trap.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sow urine is not considered bait. It is considered an ATTRACTANT in Fla. Same for deer hunting with doe in estrus type smells.
Remember though,deer,coyotes,bear,hogs,etc are inquisitive animals. If they smell something they quickly determine if it is a potentially harmful smell. If the scent falls into other categories they very well might want to go investigate. As they get closer they will determine how close they need to get in order to obtain the info they need. IOW . . . they might smell the sow urine,come towards it,then at 50yds+ determine that they do not need to come any further.
I have sat on a ridge watching a valley,and seen deer and coyotes do exactly this.
Remember also,there are other things that you can use as a attractant that might (in your state) not be considered "bait". In Fla just one example is what is pictured. It is a concentrated formula used as diluted dip,or wiped on livestock to prevent flys and gnats. I find that the less the hogs are used to it,the better it works. It can be diluted to about 1oz to a gallon of water. It smells like a freshly coated telephone pole (creosote). ---- pruhdlr 20170311_142914.jpg

jglass

LSB Member
Interesting, thanks for the info. Should have mentioned I'll be hog hunting in Florida on private land but may try some WMAs. I planned to use the urine along with corn and other baits. Last winter I took an old wooden post to the bait pile to be used as a
scratching post. I soaked it with WD40 and the hogs were using it. Not sure if it attracted the hogs. I'm going to look for some
"Kresod". I also thought about digging a hole for a 12v bilge pump to create a puddle of water for the hogs to wallow in. Would that be worth the effort?

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
NO bait in a WMA. The wardens (FWC) are super serious about this. Private land is ok.
My wallow is made from putting a kiddie pool down in a hole just big enough to hold it's base. I put mud and gray clay in it to get 'em started.
If you dig a hole for a wallow it has to be in gray clay. Most Fla dirt,even the red stuff,has too much sand and will not hold water. You could also dig a hole and line it with plastic.
Wrap an old piece of carpet,towel,or some other material around that rubbing post. Motor oil is better than WD-40. Old,well used oil that came from a diesel engine is best. That KRESO D is even better.
Good Hunting. ---- SAWMAN

shannon

I have never seen sow urine but i have seen boar urine. any one have any dealings with it? i think its made by tinks

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I buy sow in heat urine at Academy Sports. It attracts boars and seems to keep piglets calm. Not sure why anyone would use boar urine unless marking territory, even then not sure why.