Sow, Piglet, Lucky Hog & Predator Confusion

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

In making hunting videos, I like to find aspects of my hunts that are unique or stand out in some way, such as medical anomalies with the hogs, strange bullet performance, etc. This hunt turned out particularly good for this.

Something seen in a few of my videos and the videos of others is some hesitation on the part of the shooters when faced with a sounder that has taken flight after the first shot. This delay on the part of the hunter is called "predator confusion" or the "confusion effect." If you google these phrases, you can come up with a lot of long-eared articles on the phenomenon. Basically, as long as the predator fails to select a target, then the predator doesn't attack or attack as effectively, thereby increasing the chances for survival of individual members of the group/heard/flock/school. It is basically nothing but sensory overload.

I found it amusing to do the freeze-frame and see the hog jumping over the downed sow and jumping over the shot on the piglet. Pure luck, but it may have kept that hog from harm.

The Berger VLD-Hunting bullets continued to perform well, but with lengthwise shots on both hogs, neither overpenetrated.

I got out as the storms hit. They got over 2 more inches up there. It has been a really wet spring in north Texas!

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Predator confusion only works if the predator is confused otherwise it could be referred to as scrambling.

Nice job on removing 2 more from the breeding population - that snout on the momma sow is a long one!

D

djones

i always thought they were just crapping in their pants.

you're pretty handy with that knife.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice! Good job getting two, that was a small shooting lane.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great video and write up Brian.
I like the way the Berger is working on the hogs too.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like while you are cutting the straps could have been harvested easily, you ever take any meat?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great that you point that out its one of the many reasons why birds, animals, fish move in flocks, herds, and schools. I've watched many a dove hunter and hog hunter completely miss multiple shots when there is a large group, only to nail single targets.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like while you are cutting the straps could have been harvested easily, you ever take any meat?

Not in a while for my family. Most of my friends' freezers are full as well, those who want the meat. I managed to give away two complete hogs last month and took out back straps on two more for folks.

Great that you point that out its one of the many reasons why birds, animals, fish move in flocks, herds, and schools. I've watched many a dove hunter and hog hunter completely miss multiple shots when there is a large group, only to nail single targets.

I think we have all done it at some point. I know I used to be a lot worse at it, but it still occurs. Need more experience.

This is the summary from Wiki. Collective animal behavior - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This theory [predator confusion effect] is based on the idea that it becomes difficult for predators to pick out individual prey from groups because the many moving targets create a sensory overload of the predator's visual channel.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video and good hogs down! Happy hunting

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
As always great video. The Berger is performing much better than I would have thought. Always thought of them as target round due to such high BCs. I know have a much different perspective. Live and learn.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hog Hurdles practice for that sounder. Two shots, two solid anchors... gotta love that. Cookies for the kiddos ! (And dad too)

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gotta keep a woman like that around!!!

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Predictably, another outstanding video and narrative.

But it was the radar image that made me feel like I was actually there!