Solar array for 18650s/CR123s?

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've gone to mostly rechargeable 18650s and some 123s. I've got a nitecore intellicharger that is working great. Has anyone figured out a way or found a product whereby one could solar charge these batteries? Array to a usb pack to the charger? Any help would be appreciated.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ordered a suntactics s14 array that will charge the nitcore charger. If anyone is interested I'll post the results. This usb centered solar array looks like something that should be in anyones emergency preps.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What are you using the rechargeable 123s in? I thought those are usually junk?

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I bought a pack of 123s but haven't used them yet. 18650s have worked well. I have a reap-ir inbound I hope the 123s aren't junk.

znztivguy

LSB Member
Hey...I'm new here but not new to electronics.... Its risky using rechargeable batteries on sensitive night vision products. You got to be careful because newly charged batteries have a tendency to surge or spike causing harm to your optic, if not on the short term definitely on the long term. Some optics have circuits that are hardened to that sort of thing, but why take the risk?, if your optic is already costing you in the thousands. No Point in creating an expensive paperweight. Should only be considered if you have no other option...like a scenario where no more cr123's exist.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah I think I remember a thread on this before..Pretty sure armasight won't warranty it if you use rechargeable 123s with exception for the pro line.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ouch. Ok. I have flashlights that I also use the rechargeables in. No damage to the Zeus though after running on the 18650s.

Znz......what about the USB charger that UNV is selling for the IR defense line?

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How are you putting 18650s in a Zeus? Are you using an external battery pack that has some kind of power regulator?

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Armasight external battery pack. it came with 2 rechargeable 18650s. I guess the pack has a regulator in it or something.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks though guys for making me S my pants. I appreciate it lol!

znztivguy

LSB Member
Battery Packs usually come with some sort of circuit that helps regulate the voltage. Some dealers get lazy and don't do so. I would do my due diligence and ask them directly.
Flashlights using CREE LED's and such, are more hardened to variations in current. I would have no qualms using rechargeable 123's in them. In matter of fact TASER uses a rechargeable for their taser flashlight.
Just not for expensive Night vision and thermals....

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'd have to say that if my armasight external battery pack frys my $6000 armasight scope then armasight is gonna send me another $6000 scope. I hope they have thought this through. The fact that it ships with 2 rechargeable batts would seem to be a clear indication that they condone the practice.

D

djones

my external battery pack had crappy wiring. quirkie dave fixed it up. but yea... if it fries my scope i'm going to tell him he owes me a new scope, monocular, rifle, ammo and some guided hunting trips.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
my external battery pack had crappy wiring. quirkie dave fixed it up. but yea... if it fries my scope i'm going to tell him he owes me a new scope, monocular, rifle, ammo and some guided hunting trips.

The way you shoot I'd say your scope s fried already.

D

djones

i wish you had pm'ed me that. i could have used it for another excuse!!!