So the gun is only 50% of the equation?

Harris hawker

LSB Member
I met a guy, not that way :mad:, that has a pretty cool job. He is a thermal optics contractor to the military. He travels to the Middle East to teach the military how to use the latest and greatest thermal optics.
So he must be a pretty good shot right?
So I invite him to go out with me.
We went out last night.
I needed to sight my rifle In with my new scope, so I told the guy to get his rifle ready cause I didn't bring one.
So he has a rem 700 in a 308.
But not just any typical rem 700, it wasn't too much different from this, scroll down a bit to see it.

http://www.shwat.com/ArticleIndex/t...ssis-Enter-the-Cadex-Defense-Strike-Dual.aspx

It was souped up big time. Nice big scope, all sorts of rails and other doodads! It was nice!!

So we get out and I get my bino's out to look at the feeder.
He pulls out some canon stabilized bino's, very nice set of bino's!!
So now I have bino envy!
Nothing visible at the feeder so we drive down there to put corn.
As we found the corner my son say, piglet!!!
So I hit the brakes and ask where.
There was a tiny little pig under the feeder.
So I slam in to R and back up. We park about 100 yards away. We get out and I tell the guy, with a scope like that we need to be far away.
I was assured we could be as close as we want.
He, he, he!!
So we are 40-50 yards away and as we're moving up the adults come out to play.
I tell him they are all his, shoot at will, and I walk away.

No lie......
after 5 minutes of posturing, looking, repositioning, more looking,
A hand full of dust for windage, plucked grass to put in his gihillie suit, crack of knuckels, jumping jacks...... (Ok from the dust down was BS, above the dust is real, had to add drama.)

BOOM!!!!!!
Pigs scatter!!!
So we approach the scene, and I don't see anything.

All that rifle and there was an EPIC miss!!

Man he was devastated!!
It didnt matter too much to me, I was worried the feeder wasn't working and I was glad to see it working after the rain we had last week.

Of course I got the "my scope is sighted In at 100 yards" excuse.
Then I said "I told you we could be farther back!"

Hey, a bad day hog hunting is better then A great day at work right!!!

He wAs really troubled he missed, but makes for a great story.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know that feeling and its not a good one especially when your not used to missing. Then its even worse when people are watching. Just ask HDFireman! :rolleyes:

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I had a dream once.....that I missed. (Right!)

As an EMT working a somewhat bloody car wreck I have seen some of the best ER doctors somewhat freak out. Take a person out of his element/environment and things change rapidly.

The guy might have simply been a "shooter" and not a "hunter". I have found that there is a very distinct difference. --- pruhdlr