So I bought a 3D printer....

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Apparently I don't have enough hobbies.

So what do you do with something that sits in your living room and taunts your cats with movable arms and an almost endless supply of fresh string? You make more guns.....

I've fallen into a group that is designing new firearms in CAD. Some of these guys are pretty damn creative!

Now to answer one of the usual questions I've been hearing first. Virtually all of these designs are just redesigning current gun parts/receivers that you can currently purchase in various metals. Also even the guns that are almost fully 3D printed still need metal parts to function. The closest I've seen to a 100% printed gun was a something that looked like a two pipes sleeved together to make a slam-fire single shot and even it still used a metal nail as the firing pin.

What I started with, and what seems to be the most popular, is an AR15 lower receiver. This still needs all the FCG parts, buffer tubes and the like. It basically is just like finishing an 80% receiver on a drill press. However it's one that has been printed instead of milled.

First things first, we have to calibrate the machine.
It works like a hot glue gun mounted to a CNC machine. Only it's a hot glue gun spitting out lines of ABS plastic...
Photo Apr 10, 11 49 59 PM.jpg

That's supposed to be a 10mm x 20mm box. It only came out to be 9.98mm x 19.94mm. I'd call that acceptable!

Next up we try out an AR lower receiver....
Photo Apr 11, 6 39 35 PM.jpg Photo Apr 11, 6 58 33 PM.jpgPhoto Apr 11, 7 23 48 PM.jpgPhoto Apr 11, 7 48 03 PM.jpgPhoto Apr 11, 9 25 07 PM.jpg
It just keeps getting taller and taller one X/Y horizontal layer at a time.

Photo Apr 11, 10 01 25 PM.jpg Photo Apr 12, 6 04 40 AM.jpg Photo Apr 12, 6 05 04 AM.jpg

At this point we're about 12 hours into the print.
Now this first one didn't work out so well. The front of the magwell area started warping about 3/4 of the way through the print. So while I added a lower parts kit to it just to test fit things, this one will get broken up and pitched. The mag well is almost missing in this design. From a structural standpoint it's not really needed for the receiver to hold a mag and be functional.

Photo Apr 12, 9 22 05 AM.jpg Photo Apr 12, 9 21 57 AM.jpg Photo Apr 12, 9 21 52 AM.jpg Photo Apr 12, 11 13 25 AM.jpg Photo Apr 12, 11 12 58 AM.jpg

So I started again with another design that had a bit more meat up front in the mag well area. I was hoping that this other design would be less likely to warp during printing. I also adjusted the angle at which it printed to move the magwell closer to the first layers.

Photo Apr 13, 10 06 08 PM.jpg Photo Apr 14, 12 03 50 PM.jpg Photo Apr 14, 12 03 48 PM.jpg Photo Apr 14, 12 03 43 PM.jpg

Now this one turned out much better.... Still a little rough around the edges, but much more functional.

Photo Apr 14, 1 00 48 PM.jpg Photo Apr 14, 1 07 51 PM.jpg Photo Apr 14, 1 00 52 PM.jpg Photo Apr 14, 1 07 32 PM.jpg Photo Apr 14, 1 07 22 PM.jpg Photo Apr 14, 1 07 19 PM.jpg Photo Apr 14, 1 07 38 PM.jpg

Now to add some metal to all this plastic...

Photo Apr 14, 4 08 42 PM.jpg
PAQnfV4.jpg

27Ff9wn.jpg

Since the receiver is thicker than your standard aluminum version, clevis pins with hitch pins are used to secure the upper to the lower.

Anyway, I've been having fun getting started on this project. I figured you guys would be interested as well...

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
pretty cool there how about printing your drones up?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Next.. he'll be printing sexy sow decoys to attract boars in for the kill shot.

MissPiggyIYN.jpg

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's awesome

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For those that don't know I'm also an FFL/SOT, so I decided to have a little more fun with one of the lowers. I've added all the needed engraving and just papered this little red devil as an SBR.....

Fresh off the printer
Vanguard FC.jpg

After a little clean up and a parts kit tossed in....
fc100.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is that as strong as New Frontier, like a composite or just plastic? I understand the weak part is where the buffer attaches.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is that as strong as New Frontier, like a composite or just plastic? I understand the weak part is where the buffer attaches.
It's just layered plastic, but it is ABS. The injection molded stuff tends to be stronger, but not always. This design has been reinforced quite a bit in that area for that exact reason. You can see how much thicker it is over the top of the selector and how much beefier the tower itself is as well.

We'll see how it holds up.....

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I wonder is a metal threaded liner would work, I see some plastic units made that way. Other wise there is no real stress on the rest of it. I was a big fan of the New Frontier before the metal lowers became just as cheap. Joe Bobs has an Anderson Lower for $49.95 today.

Anyway makes for a fun project and a sense of accomplishment for you.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I actually shot his other one this past weekend. Worked like a champ.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just having some fun experimenting with this stuff. It's amazing to be able to mess around and go from a cad file to a product in hand in a matter of hours....

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now that is RD in Alaska!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's an all-time Alaskan favorite pass-time. Down a bottle of "151" (or more) and you're golden. LOL

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So the take down pin holes still need a little fitting so I don't have to fight the pins going in and out, but overall it's looking pretty good.

Figure cheap ass home made plastic SBR deserved the 300wtf upper and a side folder stock. Gemtech Dagger as well.
Photo May 14, 6 48 49 PM.jpg

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Much too nice for a .300 WTF (but, the right color). LOL Nice work there Kemosabe.