Smith & Wesson to End Most CA Sales Due to Microstamping Regulation

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
On January 22nd renowned gun maker Smith & Wesson joined Sturm, Ruger, & Co., by announcing it would cease California sales of its semi-automatic pistols due to microstamping requirements that went into effect last year.

Ruger made the same announcement earlier this month.

Microstamping is a requirement that each firearm be fitted with a special firing pin that leaves a fingerprint on a bullet casing which differs from the fingerprint of every other firearm. In other words--every one of the wildly popular Smith & Wesson M&P .45 semi-automatic handguns would have to be manufactured in such a way so that no two of them left the same mark on a shell casing.

The cost of doing this would be incredibly high to manufacturers, and would be a cost they would have to pass on to consumers in higher prices.

Moreover, the result of doing this would be yet another gun registry--every gun sold that met microstamping requirements would have be to registered so that the government knew who owned the gun that left that fingerprint.

On top of these things, micropstamping doesn't even work--and least not all the time. There are proven problems with the durability of microstamps on firing pins.

So The Washington Times reports that Smith & Wesson is just going to stop selling guns in CA for which microstamping is required.

Smith & Wesson president and CEO James Debney said his company "will continue to work with the NRA and the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) to oppose this poorly conceived law which mandates the unproven and unreliable concept of microstamping and makes it impossible for Californians to have access to the best products with the latest innovations."

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have a new found respect for Smith and Wesson.

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
CA citizens will still buy guns and take them into state. thugs and outlaws wont use stamped firearms.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Seal off the borders, evacuate the friendlies, and let the filth be filth.

Harris hawker

LSB Member
I vote we give it back to Mexico.
Let the libs live in gun free Mexico.
Cause we all know how well gun free Mexico is!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you had one w MS on the firing pin, could you not just replace it, do a crime and then put it back in? I just don't get it...

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you had one w MS on the firing pin, could you not just replace it, do a crime and then put it back in? I just don't get it...
Well... you must also understand the mentality (or, lack thereof) of the ones writing this trash. Some of "them" have suggested that as soon as all the "hi-cap" mags are empty, there'll be no more of them. I would then assume that in CA you buy a magazine full of live ammunition, and once the ammunition is expended, you discard the empty magazine. I mean... isn't that how they do it in the movies? Dump the empty and plug in the fresh one and continue with the carnage? I mean, if the movies were never wrong... wouldn't SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE be picking up the empty mags... and AT LEAST throwing them away properly (rather than just littering)?????